2. SamIam

Act; one
                 May. 9 . 1996
                 Kansas. "Random diner"

 "Random diner"

"You look just like your mother," Sam told me as we sat in the diner. Miranda had stepped outside to take a phone call, so we went in first and grabbed a booth.

I didn't say anything in response, my gaze fixed on Sam. I couldn't help but wonder why he seemed so interested in me, a stranger. Why did he care about my well-being when he wasn't even my father? The question lingered in my mind as I waited for him to explain himself.

"I'm sure you have more questions after yesterday." He referred to the picture accident. His brown zoomed into my soul as he said. I shrugged not saying anything to please him.

He let out a chuckle, playing with the napkin container on the table.

"Well, I was a friend of your father and mother. I was closer to your mother, though," he smiled to himself. "Were you fucking her?" I blurted out, not able to hold in my curiosity any longer. His eyes snapped to mine, and he lifted an eyebrow, trying to hold back a laugh. "I would never. Our relationship was purely platonic. She was out there, but not out there," he explained. Something in my gut made me believe him, and I nodded, staring down at the table. "I'm sorry that she passed away. I should have been there for the funeral-"

"She was cremated," I interjected, my voice numb. I could tell by the twitch in his eye that it hurt him to know. It was true- we couldn't even afford to pay for a funeral, and we didn't know what to do with her body.

"Miranda took me to pour her ashes somewhere, but it's a secret place my mom wanted me to put her before she passed away," I said, my voice filled with sadness. I looked back up to Sam, I could see the pain and guilt in his eyes.

"So friend you were though, where were you these past years? Or the last days when she was dying slowly?" I asked him, he wanted to me ask questions these were the hard ones, surely he would answer them, if he could.

"She didn't want talk to me after she moved Detroit and came to Kansas with you. Honestly she cut off contact with everyone, she got paranoid after she finished rehab and the thought of Quincy taking you after she did made her go insane. She knew if she wanted to get better she needed to let everybody go but you." He explained his shitty excuse making me roll my eyes.