Chapter 7

The voices from her master's room awoke Joan, she looked at the small clock beside her bed, frowning when she realized it was still a few hours before dawn. She listened again. the voices were familiar, belonging to the people she lived with but their tone didn't sound like it at all.

They were... fighting?

The realization hit Joan fast. Unable to sleep, she slipped out of bed, pressing her ear against her shut door. Indeed, she had heard right. The two were fighting. Not long after, she heard their door open and then shut with a loud bang. Startled by the sound, she jerked off the door, running fast back into her bed in case someone came looking for her.

Nobody came. Neither did Joan get out of bed again. the noise quietened down till there was nothing but pin drop silence—like the quarrel earlier hadn't happened. Joan laid still in bed like a single movement of hers would alert the couple. Not long after, she dozed off, probably out of tiredness.

When Joan awoke again, the sun was up in the sky. She jumped out of bed, wondering if what had happened the night before had all been a dream. Going through her usual morning routine of dressing her bed and having a bath, she made her way to the kitchen, noticing the odd atmosphere.

The kitchen was unusually clean that morning. The plates and pans were in place; exactly how she had arranged them the night before after dinner. There was no smell of food hovering in the kitchen air. It was just like the kitchen had not been stepped into.

Exiting the kitchen, Joan picked up the broom and began her morning chores, her mind troubled over the sounds she had heard. Had it really not been a dream? If so, what would have particularly caused them to fight? After a long time of cleaning the house, Joan was finally done with her chores. The chores had particularly taken a longer time to be accomplished that day du to her distracted mind. Entering the kitchen again, she began to cook breakfast, her attention suddenly attracted by the giggles of kids her age, playing not too far away.

While the pot boiled away on the stove, she watched them with so much attention and soon found herself giggling alongside with them. it reminded her of the games she used to watch from the window side of her home. Thinking of it made her suddenly remember her home. She wondered if her father was doing just fine. Even if he hadn't checked up on her for even a single bit, she wasn't that heartless to ignore him either.

"You wish to join them?"

Joan jerked away from the window, forcefully returning her gaze to the boiling pot like she hadn't been the same person looking outside the window earlier. She raised her head, turning to look at her master who had just walked into the kitchen unannounced. Earlier, she had thought she was the only one home since there hadn't been a single noise from the couple's room. Moreover, they both left for work very early each day.

"Good morning, sir." She greeted hastily, swallowing hard.

"You seem to be having a great time." He commented.

Joan scratched the back of her head. She couldn't deny watching the children. He had clearly seen her. "Forgive me, Master. I didn't know you were still around."

He chuckled dryly. Only then did Joan notice the eye bags under his eyes. "Make me a cup of tea." He walked out of the kitchen, into the sitting room after his words.

Not daring to linger anymore, Joan reached out for a teabag out of a large yellow box, just as Mary had taught her how to. Soon, the kitchen was filled with the familiar soothing smell of tea. Placing it on a saucer, like her mistress had always taught her, she served her master who was standing by the window.

Gerold took a whiff of the cup, followed by a small sip before replacing the mug on the saucer. "Well done. You are really getting good at this, I must say."

A small smile appeared on her lips. "Thank you very much, sir."

She had taken her time and followed every procedure she had been taught to the tee.

"Are you done with cleaning?"

She played with her fingers. "Yes sire."

He took another sip from the steaming cup. "Good. You can go play outside."

Her eyes widened as she raised her head to look at him. "Really?"

He smiled. "Of course. There is no use being cooped up in here all day."

"Thank you very much sir." Joan tried hard without success not to feel too overwhelmed. It was weird to her at the same time, exciting. All her life, she had always wished she had the same opportunity to play with the kids at the game and now, the opportunity came knocking right on her door.

"You must be back early though. I cannot guarantee when your mistress will be home."

Speaking of her mistress, Joan recalled the noise she had heard that morning and for some reason, her joy died down a notch. She looked at her kind master wanting to ask him if he was fine. Had it been something major that she needed to worry about?

"Any other thing?"

Alas! She couldn't find the courage to. "Nothing air. I'll be sure to return early. Thank you very much for your kindness."