Chapter 9

Gerold and his wife were back together few days later. Joan was the happiest. Although no one told her the same way no one told her they were fighting, the atmosphere in the house became more peaceful. Her mistress was back to making breakfast for her husband before leaving for work and one night, she had caught them tangled under the sheets in the couch of the living room. She hadn't bothered to watch but a small stroke of happiness washed over her, watching them go back to the loving couple she used to know.

One day, they both summoned her. Joan entered the room, her brows raised as she saw the smiles on both their faces.

"You called for me, Master. Mistress?"

It was Mary who spoke. "Guess who came back?"

Joan's eyes widened. There was only one person she knew left in the first place. "John?"

Gerold turned to his wife, "I told you she will guess it. He is her favorite person in the world."

Joan wanted to scream. John was back from school! She wanted to dance and for the first time, she wished she had wings to fly back home.

"Your mistress and I have decided to give you a week break so you could go see your brother."

Joan fell on her knees with a thud. "Thank you so much. Thank you so, so much master and mistress."

Mary chuckled at the sight of the joyous girl. "Go pack your bags. The coachman will be here in an hour to drop you off and will also come to pick you up in one week's time."

Joan had never been so happy. She hummed her favorite tune as she packed her bags. The coachman had barely stopped the carriage when Joan jumped off it. She ran a few steps before stopping and turning back to say thank you to the elderly man with a slight bow.

"Enjoy your week!" He saluted her. Maybe because everyone at her Master's treated her with kindness, even the coachman could talk to her.

She smiled before taking off into the familiar cottage, lined with whitewash stones. Of course, she was going to enjoy her week. With a lingering smile on her face, she pushed the door open.

"John!" She yelled out loud. Her father was usually at the cathedral in the afternoons so she was free from worries, at least for the next couple of hours.

She sighted a figure on the couch and ran towards it. "I'm so glad to know you came ho—"

She halted abruptly. Yes, there was a figure sitting on the coach but it wasn't John.

It was the very man she had thought she wouldn't meet at home.

She swallowed hard. In a bit of excitement, she had forgotten to ask her master if her father was aware of her return.

He frowned. "What are you doing here?"

Joan fiddled with the bag in her hand. "I...I..." I was on a break? The right words seemed to have left her.

"You child of the devil!" He growled. "You will be the end of me!"

Reaching out his long arm, he grabbed her from where she stood, hitting her hard across the face. Joan winced. Up till that moment, she didn't know what she had done.

He hit her across the face again. "You dare show your face after running away from your master? I'll kill you today! How dare you disgrace the family name!"

"Father!"