Prologue

Blake 

The first time I saw her I was probably around 3 years old. I don’t remember much about our interaction but she had the prettiest green eyes I had ever seen and they looked so beautiful full of happiness, joy, and life. I never forgot those eyes they were the most intense green eyes I had ever seen. No wonder my mum was so obsessed with painting eyes. Although she always painted brown eyes. 

I knew mum was sad. Avery said she would see mum cry at night sometimes. One night when I was really small and we used to live in the penthouse, I had a bad dream and wanted my mum so I went to find her only to find her in the art studio looking at the brown eyes she had just finished painting with tears in her eyes. She would always smile and act happy with my sister and I but we knew she was sad. We just didn’t know why until we met Jay. 

The next time I saw the girl with the green eyes was when I was 6 years old. Mum flew us back to Auckland for a funeral. She said someone she used to work with had died and she wanted to pay her respects. I liked going to Auckland because every time we flew over we got to stay with Aunt Alexis and Aunt Anna. They were my favourite aunts! It was at the funeral that I saw the girl with the green eyes again. Her eyes weren’t happy anymore they were sad and full of tears but still the most beautiful green I had ever seen. Aunt Alexis drove us to a house I had never been to before where there was a whole bunch of people. I saw the girl with the green eyes head over to a room so as soon as Aunt Anna let go of my hand I followed her into her room. 

She sat on her bed with a stuffed whale under her arm and a framed picture in her hand of her sitting on some woman’s shoulders and another woman that looked just like her standing next to them. They all looked super happy in the photo. 

“Why are you crying?” I ask the girl with the tear filled green eyes, taking a seat next to her on the bed 

“My mummy died” she says sadly 

“Oh is that why you are sad?” I ask 

“Yeah” she says holding the picture to her chest 

“My mum’s mum died too. She said she misses her all the time. Maybe that’s why she’s sad all the time. Was your mummy sick too?” I ask 

“Yeah she was. The doctors couldn’t help her” she says 

“Maybe you could become a doctor and fix people who become sick?” I suggest 

“Yeah maybe” she says with a distant look on her face 

“I like your room. It’s very cool. It reminds me of my home. We live by the ocean and get to go swimming everyday” I say “I like all your whale toys. Do you like whales?” I ask 

“I do. Whales are my favourite. I like this one the best” she says pointing to the whale shark she had under her arm “my mama got this one for me” she says 

“I’m Blake by the way” I say “I can be your friend if you like?” I ask 

“I’m Amelia. Thank you for being my friend” she says smiling at me sadly 

I put my arm around her to give her a hug because that’s what mum does when we are sad. 

“It will be okay Amelia.You will be okay” I say 

“Blake! Mummy said we are going home now! come on hurry up!” Avery says barging in and interrupting our moment. 

“Sorry Amelia, I better go” I say sighing “you’ll be okay” I say smiling at her before following Avery. 

Aunt Lucy’s wedding was a turning point for our whole family. Mum looked so much happier after reconnecting with Jay. Avery got a new friend in Olivia and me, well I realised I had the biggest crush ever on the girl with the green eyes.