23. | can't feel my face.

— 𝒕𝒊𝒕𝒍𝒆 taken from:    the weeknd

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

His awakening was by no means peaceful.

Death has never taken hold of him for this long, or at least, that's what he remembers anyway. He can never take hold of those memories in that basement for too long, it's like a pool of water that he can only hold with his hand.

But even then, he knows, it's different this time. Something inside his chest has disappeared, destroyed when Toji pierced right through him inside his domain.

Ah, he wants to smile. But he can't not yet.

His blood is red, still gushing down from the wound around his neck like a fountain, staining the grass around him a deep crimson.

Slowly, he stands up, alone, surveying the carnage surrounding him as he flexes all of the rigid muscles inside of his body.

His nerves awaken, one by one, and assimilate together with each other once more. Soon enough, his respiratory system is back in function as well.

[Y/n] takes in a big breath, filling his lungs with air. Back to the living, back to life, back as the one called [L/n] [Y/n].

He was a dead man before, but now he is not.

His body doesn't hurt, because nothing hurts [Y/n] anymore. Nothing can.

Pain has been taken from him, leaving him empty, morphing him into this hollow shell of a man who has been embraced by the being called death.

Everything is the same, but gods, everything now feels different.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Suguru lives in a cruel reality, and it is a drowning place to be in, especially now as he alone watches Amanai fall to the floor, a bullet lodged inside her head.

Time is slow. Her hand is still reaching out to accept his offer. Her smile is frozen on her face even as blood drips from the open wound, agonizingly slow.

I want to spend more time with everyone, she cried out. I want to go to more places with them!

And she would have received all of that, if reality wasn't so cruel.

Amanai Riko was never destined to live her life to the fullest. Fate had determined it so, and that sad, terrible fate of hers cannot be changed by anyone.

"Riko-chan...?" Suguru mutters out her name. It's dumb, he knows, but what else is he supposed to do in the face of this awful situation? His arms are stiff, his fingers are numb.

Suguru's head screams.

"Alright, the job's finally over." Suguru whips his head around towards the voice, the anger inside his stomach brimming like molten lava.

The familiar man's words are spoken without a hint of guilt, and Suguru wants to rip him apart with everything he has.

"You... Why are you here?" Suguru asks with eyes wide open, fully taking in the sight of the man.

The man with no cursed energy. The man that holds [Y/n]'s dagger. The man that should have been disposed of by Satoru.

Why is the man here? Why? This man has no right to be here.

"Why am I here?" The man confusedly asks back, before a flicker of understanding crosses his eyes. "Oh, that's what you meant," he says, proud.

A grin with all teeth greets Suguru.