CHAPTER 38

We walked for over a good hour when suddenly a corn field emerged from behind the trees. Right next to the field was a narrow road. There was a small barn not far from here. I guess it was abandoned because was in terrible condition.

-Finally - I whispered and felt a single tear flowing down my cheek out of happiness.

-Let's stop for a moment - Thomas murmured and took the phone out of his vest pocket - Come on - he said under his nose and raised his hand high to catch the range.

I looked around at that time. Behind us was a huge forest from which we came. In front of us an empty roadway, probably connection between cities. In fact, there was one big field around, and the road crossed it in half.

I looked to the left and saw that the street was coming straight out of the forest. I think we had to go to the right. I looked and saw that some first houses appeared in the distance. Help I thought with hope and shoked Thomas in the shoulder.

-Let's go that way, maybe there's better range - I said in a weak voice and moved tempting.

Thomas smumbled something under his nose, but he finally followed me. I wasn't worried about leaving him behind because my current pace of gait has decreased to the pace of the old dog. Pathetic, but at least Thomas didn't have to wear me like half an hour ago when I stumbled over the root and almost twisted my ankle.

We walked along the road for a few minutes until we got to the barn. I saw a small light burning on the upper floor.

-See, someone's there - I was happy and a spark of hope came to my heart - Let's go, maybe they have a landline phone - I moved in that direction.

-Just not so fast, or you stumble again - I heard the Stranger's voice behind me and gave him a middle finger.

-Fuck off - I said loudly with a smile and went on.

After a while, Thomas caught up with me and we walked to the big door together. I knocked out loud and held my breath expecting some "who's that?"

Nothing happened, however.

-Hmm - I frowned and pushed the door. They opened with a quiet creak.

-Hey, what you doing? - Thomas hissed, grabbing my hand. I turned to him.

-Maybe he can't hear us - I shrugged - It doesn't hurt to check. This is our chance to contact Jeremy. And even if there's no one, maybe we can catch the range at the top - I pointed to the top floor above us.

I saw that he was still hesitating, but I think the vision of catching the signal convinced him because he opened the door wider. I went deeper first and looked around.

There were empty boxes on both sides. In one corner square lumps of straw set almost to the ceiling, one on top of the other. It looked a bit like this Tetris game, because each lump had slightly different dimensions.

In the opposite corner was a ladder leading to the upper floor. Several boxes were fenced with a wall, probably to fence off animals of another species. I'm not sure, I don't know anything about the farm I thought shrugging my shoulders and we went deeper with Thomas.

-I think it's abandoned - I sighed resigned - But why is the light on top? - I looked at Stranger.

- I don't know, but I don't like it either - he murmured, looking around closely. He took his rifle off his shoulder and unsecured it.