[3]

You awoke in the room your father had given you. The room was cold, and the blanket did very little to help. You changed from the PJs into a change of clothes in your backpack. When you stepped into the hall of the cinder block building.

You could hear sounds from outside. You followed the sound out of the large building to see the massive fire in the centre of the circle lit. Over it was a massive skillet, cooking enough food for possibly a hundred people. You slunk out, seeing people of all ages, genders, and races standing about doing morning chores.

You approached a man standing near the fire as he used a spatula to flip over eggs.

"'Scuse me," you said, "You seen my dad?" The man jumped in your presence, standing at attention and instantly bowing his head.

"Paragon, your father awaits in the fields for you." You rolled your eyes. If you'd known that your dad was a goddamn cult leader, you'd probably have done anything to not come. He motioned with his hand towards what looked to be an opening in the limestone wall several hundred feet away. You nodded to the man a silent thanks and walked in that direction.

Where the wall cut out, there was a slope down to a large field with what appeared to be a small creek running through it. You could see corn, grain, soy beans, tomatoes, and many staple foods. Things you'd expect to see in a textbook on ancient civilizations. Your father stood in the field beside a woman holding a basket of grain. It seemed that everyone wore either beige robes, or simple tunics and pants of the same colour. Your father, on the other hand, wore dark brown robes that hung from his body. His hand was on the woman's shoulder as he spoke with her. You put your hands in your pockets and waited to get his attention.

When he glanced up at you atop the hill, he smiled widely and said goodbye to the woman. She went back to plucking crops, and he climbed the hill to speak with you. He held out his hand for you to shake as he began speaking ecstatically.

"My dear YN," he said, his tone similar to that of a lottery winner, "I can't believe you're finally here! We've all waited for you for oh so many years." You glanced around. No fucking wonder your mother never told you about your dad.

"Yeah... Um, so. I have a few questions."

"I'm sure you do," he chuckled. "Please, come. Have you eaten? We'll prepare you food. Ask for anything and you shall receive, my child." He put his hand on your shoulder to guide you back towards the firepit.

"Yeah, no. I'm good, but thanks. I just want to know...." How could you word this without the phrase 'what the fuck'? "Where are we?" He gestured to the compound.

"This is the nexus of our religion," he stated proudly. "We are the home of the Messengers of the Paragon." You nodded as if you understood. He was a religious kook.

"Oh... Okay. So, what's the paragon?" He smiled even brighter, which you didn't think was possible. Somehow, he had the vibe of a camp counsellor who was way too excited for the summer.

"You are!" he exclaimed, gesturing his arms widely to you. "My dear child, you are the paragon!" You couldn't help but let your face shrivel up into a grimace. What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck whatthefuckwhatthefuck...

You didn't even like religion when you lived with your Aunt. It was always used to bolster the punishment of the sins of some, and yet also push others' under the rug. Why do some get forgiven for repeating behaviour, while others get punished for nearly nothing? So that was yet another reason that you were shocked, dismayed, and rather disgusted to find out that you were the centerpoint of a whole-ass religion.

"And... and what is the paragon supposed to do?"

"You were born from your mother and I to save us all from sin once the time comes," he said proudly, putting a hand on your shoulder and gesturing to the people around with the other. You cringed. So, you were seen as the second coming of christ by your clearly batshit crazy father and all these people he conned into following him. Dope.