[7]

"Where did this death occur? Can we send out EMTs to help them?" he asked immediately.

"No, I don't... EMTs can't help, it happened this morning. Out at the, um, the commune. The... I dunno what it's called... the paragon thing? I don't know. Look, there was an infant and it died. And-"

"Do you have physical evidence?" he asked. You paused. No, you had no evidence. You really had nothing, but you knew something had to be done. Your hesitation told him enough. "Okay, look. I'd love to help you, but without evidence of child abuse, we can't intervene." He pulled out a card and wrote on the back.

555-9278, Officer James Giamo

"Here. If you get photographic proof of child abuse, send it to this number. It's my personal number. I'll respond ASAP when you send me pictures. Without proof, we can't do anything. I'm sorry."

You trudged back to the library with the card in hand. There had to be a better way of doing this. When you walked through the doors, the librarian gave you a tired look and pointed at Ainsley, who was still exactly in the same spot. His dark brown eyes were focused intently on the children's reading group on the other side of the library.

You grabbed your phone, making him jump from his spot. You chuckled.

"You doing okay?" you asked him as you looked at your powering-on phone screen. 58%. Anything was enough at this point. You still needed some time to let your phone charge more. He nodded and set his eyes back on the reading group with the clown. You didn't like clowns. Not like a fear or a hatred of them, but they just weren't your favourite thing. "Do you wanna go to the kiddie reading group?" He looked up at you then to them.

"Kind of. I don't know what book they are reading." You pointed to a sign on the wall next to the opening to the children's reading area.

"Looks like they're reading some... grumpy monkey thing. C'mon, I'll bet there's no age limit." You kept an eye on your phone, but set your hand on Ainsley's arm to guide him over to the reading area. He seemed anxious, like he wanted to go but was scared. His knuckles were getting raw from how he was rubbing them. "C'mon, they're just kids. They won't bite." You stood outside the doorway, but ushered Ainsley in.

He looked at the small kids. They were all maybe eight years old, but there he was, a 16-year old outlier. He copied their sitting position, folding his legs under himself as he sat a couple feet behind the reading group. A couple parents gave him weird looks, but he didn't notice. The clown reading noticed him and cast him a great big smile before continuing on the story without

Even though he was joining halfway through, Ainsley was fascinated by the drawings. Ainsley decided then that monkeys were his favourite mythological creature. You smirked a little bit. He was like a small child in a way. You turned around and went back to your phone to put in Officer Giamo's number. Maybe you could go back to the compound later and catch a photo of the dead child, if they hadn't gotten rid of the body yet. The thought of it made the back of your throat go cold.

For almost thirty minutes, Ainsley listened intently to the story of a happy little monkey and the trees of which he climbed. But suddenly, the clown turned the page and stopped reading. The story didn't seem done. The small children clapped and giggled as the clown honked her nose once again. Ainsley rather awkwardly mimicked them by clapping his hands together slowly, still lost as to what was happening.

"Well, well, well, kiddos!" she chortled in a fake, honky voice. "We're halfway through the book! Will I be seeing you guys next week for the other half?" They all yelled out a unanimous 'yes'. Then, they all stood up and scattered through the library. "I hope you kiddos all enjoy the parade! Get lots and lots and lots of candy!"