Chapter 1/Stargazing

Notes: Lilith can see the stars. Her father can't.

5 year old Lilith.
Outside of London.
8:45 pm.

"Are you sure this is a good idea, Dear?"

"Yeah." The disappointment in his voice was obvious but this was for Lillith. She's been interested in stars recently and had been bringing star books to Crowley for weeks. It was time her father told her about the real things instead of just pictures.

"Angel, Find Centauri for me."

Holding the 5 year old, He looked up at a pitch black sky when she pointed. "Look daddy!! There's so many of them!!"

He smiled faintly. "Yeh... so many."

"Okay. This one right?- er- I mean.. I think it's this one."

"Are there two? A and B?"

"No. I mean- I'm not sure if the telescope catches it."

"Hunk of junk. You'd think humans would make something better by now...."

"...Crowley.. Dear.. Are you sure? I can teach her about them-"

The blinded demon shook his head. He could see small blips of general brightness but they weren't stars. Surrounding lights from other shops and the city.

Despite driving all the way out here and sitting on top of the Bently, He still could see the yellowish orange hue. But up?

Nothing.

"That's my job." The welling in his eyes made this sentence tighten in his throat.

"What's wrong daddy?" She asked, Just now snapping out of her stargazing daze. "It's so pretty!"

"Bloody gorgeous, ain't they?" He smiled again, but put his head on her shoulder. The Angel pulled his head onto his shoulder instead, A Hand running through his hair.

"Daddy gets a little sad sometimes."

"Oh, Me too, daddy"

"Why do you get sad?" Aziraphale asked the girl with a tilted head, Trying to console his husband, who was sniffing and trying not to cry in front of their daughter.

"Sometimes I get sad. Like when Daddy is sad. Or when it's time to go home from the park... Why are you sad, Daddy?"

They decided from pregnancy that they would answer all of her questions with truth, minus some fibs that regular children believed in. Like the Easter bunny.

Taking a deep breath and wiping his nose, The man looked at the child with such love and empathy. She was so caring. So questionative. So intelligent for such a young age. Maybe it had something to do with the fact she lived in a book shop but- Oh well.

"... I can't see the stars anymore." He says, Being vague, not wanting to explain the idea that the reason he couldn't anymore was because God took them away.

They wanted to let her decide for herself her opinions of her many angelic and demonic cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. But they would still tell the truth when asked. As a fact rather than an opinion.

"Why?"

Oh great. Just the question that got him kicked out of heaven.

"Why what, darling?" Her other father had asked.

"Why can't daddy see the stars?"

"Well..." There also was the agreement that when it came to Crowley's trauma, It would be Crowley's choice on how to tell it. As long as it was true, Aziraphale wouldn't interject.