Where to Start

Starting a story can be difficult. Something I see very often is the writer jumping straight into character descriptions. This can be done; it just has to be done correctly to keep the reader hooked. One of my favorite book series, Percy Jackson, starts in first person and with character description. It is done in a way that makes Percy relatable and interesting. If you take this route, make things interesting. Explain a situation that they are in that is odd and causes the character to tell the story.

Do a slow burn to give character descriptions. "While he swung his sword, she saw a hint of regret in his blue eyes." Let your reader imagine the character and your words help shape that image.

My favorite way to start a story is with a prologue. A prologue is from a different perspective from our main character and can describe how the world or character came to be in a situation to tell a story. That is how Harry Potter starts. Harry was brought to his new home as a baby. This creates wonder in our readers to want to read more immediately.

In Cranial, I have my two main characters discover something odd about themselves in the beginning, and they have to wait for the story to progress to figure out what is happening to them.

If I don't have an idea to start with a prologue, I will start with an exciting scene. My main character is being attacked or running from something. That can even be done in the prologue! Make things mysterious and odd. Make your reader wonder why the character/s are in this situation and keep reading to find out.