The Word Said

Said is an underrated word. Most writers will say that it's overused and abused. That can be true if it's used too much. But not every word in your book needs to be extravagant.

Said is a very basic word that everyone uses. And that's okay! As I am writing, I want to make my book as clear and easy to read as possible. One thing that gets under my skin that I've even seen professional writers do, is not put claims after a character says something.

"She wanted a dog."

"But he wanted a cat."

Too much of this confuses me. Who's talking? And now it interrupted my picture and I'm angry. If the sentence isn't important, just put the character's name and said.

"She wanted a dog." Tiffany said.

"But he wanted a cat." Jeffrey said.

Now, of course, if you have the opportunity to do it, take it! Replace said with "replied" or "argued". Not a big difference but a change of pace and it breaks up the constant word of said. Now you don't have to think for twenty minutes replacing "said" with something crazy. Use thesauruses! They are a key to any great writer!

Here are a few words I like to use instead of said! Feel free to plug them into a thesaurus and get even more!

Said ;)

Replied

Smiled

Smirked

Offered

Ordered

Responded

Beamed

Grinned

Frowned

Growled

Snarled

Snapped

Grimaced

Argued

Retaliated

Sighed

Spat

Seethed

Raged

Scoffed

Hissed

Grumbled

Murmured

Teased

Mumbled

Muttered

Whispered

Pointed out

Whined

Winced

Hollered

Roared

Shrieked

Shouted

Yelled

Began

Started

Stated

Claimed

Explained

Yelped

Disagreed

Cooed

Nodded

Exclaimed

Begged

Called

Agreed

Snickered

Cried

Decided

Faltered

Chuckled

Choked

Sobbed

Groaned

Moaned

Giggled

Indicated

Laughed

Guessed

Lied

Gulped

Hesitated

Howled

Implied

Insulted

Joked

Pleaded

Praised

Thought

Proposed

Questioned

Recommended

Refused

There are way crazier words out there but I hate coming across a word I don't know and having to stop the story to find out what it means so I stick with the simpler words. If you want to use crazy words, go for it! Just not my thing!