Storyboarding & Filler Chapters

Storyboarding is very important. This helps organize your thoughts and helps you decide what parts you want in your book. I have a notebook that I use to help storyboard. You can open a note on your phone if it's a spur of the moment idea too.

If you have two ideas for a fight scene, for example, write them both down and see which one you like better or fits better with the plot. This will help guide your chapters. Make sure everything that happens in your story has a reason.

I don't like reading filler chapters. Those feel like a waste of time to me, and I don't want to read them. Make something happen in every chapter. It could be a fight scene or self-conflict of a character's mind. Just make it important. Have a plan for every chapter to avoid filler chapters. That's where the notebook and storyboarding help.

If you have a break chapter where your characters aren't going through a challenge, have them discuss something. Have them talk about something personal or deep, for example. Have two characters learn something new about one another or learn something new.

Not every chapter has to be filled with extreme or intense moments. Have a comic relief character who pitches in every now and then. Or a moment where the reader can really connect with the character or feel sympathy for them. These parts can be hard to write if emotions are hard to write for you. I will go over that later.