CH 3: THE PREY

・・・・・・・・・・・・・・

By mid-week, Jungwon looks sad to know he needs to go back to his respective space for a little while. Not because he wants to, and not even because you want him to.

It's simply because you need to be alone. You've always needed to be in your own space when this happens anyway.

Month after month after month. For years and years.

It never gets comfortable and you'll never understand why you're fated to hurt so badly every twenty two days.

Going to work is already difficult enough, bloated in your quirky outfits and smiling through the twisting knots in your gut. Having Jungwon in your space when you very nearly want to strangle every person who asks you how your day has been would only lead to more owed apologies.

"It's not forever, Wonie." You genuinely smile through the pain at his narrowed eyes. "Don't be so dramatic."

"Oh, I'm being dramatic?" He throws his arms up and motions at you. "You just told me you need a few days to bleed out on your kitchen floor."

"Well, yeah..." You laugh and he frowns.

"I have a sister, you know." He rolls his eyes. "Who's gonna buy you snacks and bring you microwaved water bottles?"

"Jungwon." You land your hands on his shoulders and force him to look at you. "I really just don't like when people are around me when I'm on my period."

He blows a strand of his hair up before pursing his lips, accepting the fact that maybe he's a bit too clingy. Then again, you're the only person in this city he knows and arguably the only person in this world he's managed to grow so close with.

Given the fact that the two of you only met like, what? Two weeks ago? He should probably tone it down and not make an attempt to change your lifestyle just so he can sleep next to someone.

"Fine." He huffs, frowning harder. "But if you need snacks or–"

"I'll call you." You shake his shoulders before forcing him into a bear hug. "Thanks though."

And with that, you go your separate ways at the end of the work day and try to ignore how the pain medicine did close to nothing all day to help with the twisting in your abdomen.

Still, you're relieved to know you can tough out the next few days in silence due to Jungwon backing you up on your false-sickness nonsense nearing the end of your shift.

"I feel like I'm coming down with a fever." You whined to your boss, happy that the first day cold-sweats from your period makes it appear as just that. A fever.

"She's been a bit out of it all day. If you need me to help out on the down-low while she's recovering, I don't mind." Jungwon had added, smiling at your boss and not at all bothered by the unpaid work he'll probably have to do for your sake.

A great friend he is. You're lucky to have met him.

An amazing friend, really. For helping you find space for yourself in crowded clubs and within your own bed. For lending a hand at work and showing up every day for your shifts despite simply being an artist that's presenting his work there. No where is he needed within that museum outside of, well, you.

And he's always there. So for him to not be here now, when you're making your way to your apartment door? It feels...wrong. Mostly because, as alone as you are when you walk inside and as silent as it is, you don't entirely feel as alone like you once did here.