|17| You're Perfect

|You're Perfect|

The school day was over, and I was left alone in the house with my bodyguard. The guy I kissed but now try to avoid. We would eventually have to speak to each other. As much as it was fun to pretend he did not exist, the problem will only worsen until we face him. Even if he rejects me, I would like to know what was on his mind.

I sucked my teeth and stepped out of my room, as painful as it was. Walking down the stairs was causing me anxiety. It is not every day that I am placed in this position. Unless you were a guy like Jake, no one asked me to kiss you. Not for Jake's selfish reasons, but simply because. That was not normal in my world. Ace has brought about unexpected changes. He was mysterious in all the right ways, but was that enough to carry me through this?

Ace sat in the family room, his eyes glued to the book he was reading. My eyes scanned over him, afraid to say anything. It was easier to look at him from a distance, but he eventually noticed me. Now is the time to air my grievances. More like, why on earth did he think it was a good idea to give me that dare? He had to understand that there would be consequences for our devious actions. Nonetheless, I felt compelled to do it again. Curse his attractiveness.

Looking over at me, I try to hide behind the wall, but he has already spotted me. The chuckle in his voice demonstrated this. My cheeks get hot while I try to figure out what to do. The whole point of me coming down here was to clear the air about the little game we played. There was no time to get sidetracked.

Unfortunately, Ace approached me as I leaned against the wall. He looks down with his trademark smirk on his face. We have not spoken in a while, but what did he expect? I have not had any intimate relationships with anyone. Especially not in the circumstances we are currently in. He laughed as I mentally panicked. It is incredible how men can remain so calm in these situations. They appear unconcerned about anything.

He smirks at me while clearing his throat. "Hiding behind the wall will not get you very far." He teased.

I avoided his gaze and focused on my feet. "Oh...right." I spoke nervously. "Hey."

Sensing my emotion, he stood up straight and forced me to look at him. "What's up? Why are you acting so... strange?" He asked in a playful manner.

My fingers twitch as I am afraid to admit what is wrong with me. We are not that old, but would I sound like a baby complaining about a kiss? It was the last thing I wanted. Clearly, he believed I was mature enough to handle it; otherwise, he would not have asked, right? Now, he will never ask me again. That is something I did not want to happen. Not that I expected to kiss him again, or anything.

I gulped and created some space between us before making a suggestion. "Would you like to go down to the pier?" I asked.

He looked at me puzzled, but chuckled anyway. "Um...hmm...that is an odd request." He laughs. "But it is not safe, and I doubt your father would approve."

My eyes rolled. "Come on; it will be fun. Plus, you will be right beside me." I beg. "And they have a tasty cotton candy stand with your name on it."

Bribery wasn't the first place I should be going, but it always seemed to work on Ace. I'm not sure why he always felt the need to cave into my ideas. He was right that my father wouldn't like the idea of me being out. Even with Ace, I was still stuck on house arrest until my father figures out what happened to my mom. Whenever that was going to be. This trip would have to be our little secret. It'll also help me gather my thoughts. Talking about what happened the other night is hard. There's so much to say but what if things change?

Ace sighed before agreeing to go down to the pier. I smiled excited to get out of the house and have a bit of that sweet tasting cotton candy. Ace would love it and it's perfect to break the ice between us. There's no way he hasn't felt the tension piling up. It's hard to tell if it was regular tension or sexual. Either way, we needed to get it sort out before we can continue doing anything. My brain couldn't take it.