After classes, I headed to detention. I had just finished PE, my hair was tied up in a messy ponytail, and I wore snug blue gym shorts paired with a yellow tank top. I took a sit at the front of the room, hoping as soon as we were released I would be the first one to head out. Principal Miller had separated Olive and me and she would spend tomorrow in detention. Everyone in middle school knew how close we were, I guess the information got passed around to this new school as well.

Detention was uncharted territory for me, so I found myself gazing around looking for familiar faces. Three chairs behind me sat Marvin, he had gotten detention later that day for skipping class. Right next to him sat Turner, my sister's boyfriend and three roles away in the back sat Roman. My reverie was interrupted by the ringing coming from my phone.

"No phones allowed!" warmed Mr. Smith.

It was a text from Marvin. I opened it and read the text to myself:

Daniel is a jerk. I'm sorry that he said all that stuff.

I turned around shooting Marvin a withering look. Marvin was a sophomore, he attended the same middle school as I. Well in this town, everyone attended the same schools. Marvin had always been popular, but there was nothing in particular about him that made him stand out. Except for the fact that he always hung out with my sister's friend group: Turner, Daniel, Carrie, and my sister.

Another text followed, interrupting my train of thought:

I would love to make it up to you, how do you feel about dinner?

I rolled my eyes, his friend had just called me a whore and he was trying to go out with me. I placed my phone down and picked up a book from my bag.

The classroom phone rang and Mr Smith rushed to pick it up, "Marvin Steel?"

"Yeah?" he replied. "The student council needs you in room 25." I looked back at him and a smirk curved his lips. I quickly picked up my phone and texted:

Get me out of here and I'll go to dinner with you.

He looked down at his phone, chuckled, and nodded in response.

"Mr. Smith, I also need Autumn to come with me", he said as he reached the teacher's desk.

"What for?" Mr Smith questioned.

"She is part of one of the events we are planning for this year's festival", he explained.

"They did not mention her name", Mr. Smith reasoned.

"Please feel free to call back and they will be happy to explain", Marvin pointed to the phone still in the teacher's hand. Without recitation, Mr. Smith dialed them back. I could feel the hairs on my back rising as I nervously waited for a response. "You can go to Mrs. Falls", he sighed.

I looked back to the back of the room, where I felt eyes hovering over me. Roman was staring right at me. Rolling my eyes I refocused my attention. As I glanced back to check if Roman was still staring Marvin gently grabbed my hand, "Ready?" he asked.

I was preparing for my date with Marvin, wearing a red lacey dress that accentuated my curves, along with my black Steven Madden boots and some thighs.

"A date with Marvin is exactly what we needed to up our popularity status", Olive commented as she threw herself in my bed, shoes and all.

"Our?", I questioned.

"Duh, the process of association. You become popular, so then I become popular", she explained.

"Where did you hear that term?", I asked confused at her choice of words.

"Math class", she smiled proudly.