Chapter 9

Hello hello!
It has been far too long since you all heard from me, I'm afraid. A lots happened in the past months, years, and for a while I thought I'd given up on this story for good. Yet here we are, a new chapter has been published! Woohoo! Thank you all for your support and for never truly giving up on me, even when I gave up on myself. 

Much love, Kait xx
**************************************************************************

"Is there anything behind us?" Thorin calls toward the back of the pack of barrels. The river slowed a while ago, softening your descent downstream, and everyone is still wary of a second attack, despite no sign of orcs nor elves since the elven prince set you all free. They all peer around the river banks warily, water still runninh from their hair and clothes.

"Not that I can see," Balin returns, looking around all sides of the river, peering through the dense shrubbery and trees on either side. A rocky shelf extends down toward the river's edge, weathered by the constant flow of water. Thorin and the rest of the Company begin to paddle towards it, spitting water and emptying it out of their barrels.

"I think we've outrun the orcs," exclaims Bofur hopefully, tipping water from his winged hat, and you smile back at him, as steady droplets drip down your face and through your hair.

"Not for long," Thorin replies grimly, bobbing around in his barrel. "We've lost the current."

"Make for the shore, come on, let's go!" He yells, raising his voice in an effort to urge your comrades along, who begin to move slowly toward the rocky shelf, helping each other out of the barrels as they go. You see Thorin rest a caring hand on Kili's shoulder, and a murmured conversation takes place, Kili smiling reassuringly at his uncle. A trickle of affection runs through you as you observe the care, though guarded, that Thorin has for his nephews. As if he is afraid to show the strong bond he has with them, or reveal the depth of his love.

But he's come a long way, you realise fondly. With comfortable pat to Fili's shoulder, a forehead touch and a quick parting smile for each of his nephews, your love is off to consult with Balin, who has just clambered out of his barrel.

You've freed yourself from your own barrell with little difficulty. Returning to the water's edge, you begin to wring out your hair, sending a cascade of water back into the river. You're soaked to the skin, but luckily, aren't feeling the cold just yet.

Honestly, it's a miracle all of you have escaped unscathed, and you send a quick silent prayer to Mahal and the other dwarvish gods for their mercy and good fortune. You thought they had forgotten you, after the fall of Erebor, but it appears they are feeling charitable once more.

"Are you alright?" Thorin's voice sound behind you and you turn to face him. Resting his hands on your hips gently, his brow is furrowed slightly with concern as he gives you a once over for injuries.

"Fine. And you?" You return, giving him a placating smile.

"Better. Now, why did you rescue the elf?"

"The elf..." realisation dawns upon you as you conclude he means the redhead you saved from drowning.

"She was an elf, Y/N. They detest our kind, and definitely wouldn't have done the same for any of our kin. Why would you save her?" Thorin asks again, tone slightly firmer.

"I don't know," you confess honestly. "I just couldn't let her die. It reminded me of myself in a way- everyone gave up on me, and I was alone in that mountain, dying amongst our fallen brothers and sisters... It just didn't seem right. And besides, if I hadn't saved her we'd all be re-imprisoned- so you're welcome. And she saved Kili, he would've died had that arrow pierced his heart. It seemed only right I repay her. A life for a life."