Discovery

After an unfortunate accident on the battlefield, the red team had to stay back at work. It would not have been a problem at a place like Dustbowl. But they were at Coldfront, and of course there was a blizzard on the forecast today. They were supposed to leave at five, but they weren’t able to get out until nine. The base was a two hour drive away, but thankfully there was a gas station close. At least they could grab some coffee so they didn’t fall asleep at the wheel. Medic, the driver of the company van, pulled into a parking space close to the entrance. He didn’t need a jacket because of his German heritage. Only Pyro and the spy were awake at the time, but despite this they didn’t want anything. So Medic went into the gas station. He looked to his left and saw the cashier's booth, behind it sat a teenager, maybe 17, working on his math homework. He didn’t want to bother him until it was time to pay. He went and grabbed some black coffee and a pre-made burger from a hot case. At least it was warm, he probably wouldn’t get sick from it. He went to the cashier, who looked up at him with concern.

“Now, I know you are older than me, mister, but this is a really bad time to be out driving. The local snowplow in town broke down and won’t be on the road tonight.”

“Oh, it did? Zhat is a shame, but if it did, zhen why are you here?”

“The store manager offered me 30 bucks an hour to work tonight. Said I was the only employee she had with a car. I can get pretty comfy in the back office once we close, and there’s a generator if I need it.”

“Vell, it seems like you are set” Medic said as he gave the attendant some cash. He was given some change, then the cashier looked up at him. “I can’t allow you to stay until after we close… But there is a couch, if you want to stay here. Were supposed to get several feet of snow, and I technically can’t kick you out of the parking lot either”

“No zhank you, I appreciate your offer. But I am traveling with a large group. It may be a long drive, but ve have a full tank. And I vas raised in Germany, I know how to drive in zhe snow. “

“Well, if you are so sure. Go ahead, but this is the last stop you’ll find for miles that’s safe, there is another gas station an hour away but. Well, if there not closed the night shift worker is mighty mean”

Medic nodded and thanked him again for his hospitality, grabbing his items, he was just about to exit before the attendant spoke again. “Whatever you do, if your car breaks down, stay in it till morning. You will freeze before you find a safe shelter. There won’t be any police out tonight according to the news, but I do know that the county is workin’ as hard as they can to get that plow running. You may sit for a long time, but it's better than being turned to human ice cream”

“I vill be fine, zhank you” medic said before quickly exiting. He had never met somebody so nervous about a couple feet of snow. He must have come from the south, maybe like Engineer, cannot drive in the snow. Medic thought to himself as he got in the car. He backed out of the gas station parking lot, eating his burger and occasionally sipping at his coffee. This was one of the few times that insomnia was useful. However, the road conditions were getting worse and worse. While there weren’t any other cars to crash into, it was impossible to tell where his lane was, and was only judging it by the line of trees on either side of the road. The snow was coming down thick and heavy, and his only comfort was the shitty radio which was fading in and out. He had lost traction a couple times and they were only a half an hour in, he was debating turning around and going back to that gas station and just sleeping in the parking lot. Everyone else was already asleep anyways. He wasn’t paying attention, and didn’t notice the large spot of black ice on the road. Before he knew it, the car was sliding sideways towards the wall of trees. He tried everything to get it back in control, but they were thrown deep into a snowdrift. The engine made a loud and angry screech before everything going silent.
“SCHEISE” medic screeched, still panicked from sliding. He sighed and tried desperately to turn the van on, but nothing would come on. Furthermore, the windows had been busted open, and there was snow already piling in the van. Any heat that had been stored was lost, but as he looked up into the trees, he saw a dim light… A porch light.

“Everyone, follow me. There is a house over there. That is going to be the safest” He instructed the others, all too sleepy or too shocked to protest. With a final sigh, the van was abandoned despite the cashiers warnings. They made their way through the snowy forest before they arrived at the cabin. Medic gave a firm knock at the door.

“Hallo? Is anybody there? Our van broke down and we are looking for shelter!” Medic called, but no one answered, not even a creak in the floorboards. And the only footprints that went to this cabin belonged to the mercenaries. If not abandoned, it was at least empty. The door was not even locked.

“We will hide here, I am sure if there is an owner they will understand.” Medic said as he opened the door. There was a small kitchen and a dining table with 4 chairs. In the living room there lay two couches, no TV, just a radio. Across the cabin, there was a queen bed and a twin bunk. The room was spotless, there was a piece of paper on resting upon the kitchen counters. Medic picked it up and noticed a thick layer of dust, upon close inspection, the room hadn’t been touched in what seemed like years. The paper, yellowed from age had an interesting note upon it.

“Welcome to Luke's rental cabin! You are an hour away from town going to the west, and there is a gas station east about an hour! If you need firewood you should not chop down any trees, please order some. This cabin is not stocked with food or supplies. There are blankets in a closet if it gets too cold. The phone on the wall is only connected to emergency services, do not try to make calls outside of 911. We hope you enjoy your stay!” 

“Hm.. strange. Despite zhis being a rental, it has not been occupied for a while. Zhe dust is thick on zhe counters. And zhere is a musky smell.” Medic observed. Perhaps they closed the rental and did not bother to take the note? Maybe they have just had a bad year. Medic thought. He walked over to the radio and turned it on, he listened for a few minutes, but there wasn’t anything good. He was about to turn it off before the telltale emergency broadcast siren blasted through the radio's clogged speakers.

“ Attention all residents of Alpine county. Due to the harsh weather conditions and a inoperational snow plow, the county is placed on lockdown. If you are outside of your home, find shelter and stay where you are. If you are in shelter, please do not deny entry to those outside. Do not leave your home unless you need emergency medical attention. All businesses are ordered to close except for the county hospital. There will be no emergency services tonight, including fire, police, and ambulances. Please take extreme caution. This message will repeat until the lockdown is lifted” 

Medic sighed, if this county got such bad snow storms they should invest in some kind of a back up. But now they were placing the entire county on lockdown, to Medic, this was poor planning. He shut the radio off and went over to the closet, grabbing a blanket for himself, since the others had done the same. Heavy had taken the queen, considering it was the only thing big enough for him to fit on, and was snoring already. Medic curled up next to him, wishing him goodnight under his breath before succumbing to slumber…