What the fuck is that

Medic wasn’t sure how long he had slept, but he woke up to the sound of a knocking on the door. Whoever was outside must be very cold, as the knocking was very slow. He wrapped the blanket around his shoulders and trudged to the door, half asleep. He did remember that the county ordered that shelter be shared, but he needed to be cautious, there were few people who liked the mercenaries . He walked quietly to the door, he was going to open it just a crack when he saw a peephole. He looked through and

What the fuck was that. 

What stood at the door was… it looked like something medic would have made after too much beer and an unlimited supply of organs. The head looked most similar to a deer, but that was certainly not a deer. Its body was contorted and lithe, it was standing upright but it looked pained to do so. A singular eye was drooping out of the socket, the other one staring off into the distance. They weren’t even matched, clearly taken from two different entities. Its breathing was ragged and jarred, it sounded like it was painful to be alive. It raised… what looked like a dog paw, attached to an arm of, well to put frankly medic couldn’t tell what the arm was, to knock on the door again. With one knock, it stopped. Suddenly, the eye that was staring off blankly to the side was now looking right at him. Like there was no door between them. Its breathing hitched, and it let out a raspy noise. There wasn’t anything medic could compare it to. It had to physically think about moving its legs, and it hobbled off into the snow. But that eye remained staring at medic. Quietly yet quickly, he ran to the kitchen and grabbed a chair, propping it against the door and making sure it was locked. He reached to his belt before realizing that everything was still back at the van.

Everything was still back in the van… and that creature stood in between it and…

Medic felt his stomach drop out of his body. Like he was going to vomit. He felt a retch but he held it in. Panicking was just going to get them, would that thing kill them? Could that thing kill them? He sighed, he was shaking. “just … get it together. You’re… you're just hallucinating, we both know you do this” He said to himself, he needed to do anything to comfort himself. He looked out the peephole again, he could see the tracks of the creature going into the forest, at least it wasn’t getting closer to the cabin. Medic, feeling safe to look away for just a moment, needing to find something to defend himself with. Looking on the counter, there was a chopping block that had knives in it. He found the largest and sturdiest one, arming himself with it. Sitting down with his back to the wall, he watched the door, not even daring to blink. He held the knife tight in his palms, his knuckles going white. But he was a smart boy. He knew to look away from that door, to curl back in the arms of heavy was a death sentence, especially with everyone sleeping so soundly after work. They didn’t have their weapons either. They weren’t useless, per say, but there were certainly people who were better prepared for this. But it didn’t matter, because as long as he watched the door he would be safe. So that is what he did, he watched the door until sunrise, and the first merc to awoke standing beside him.