Lovely Time

Originally posted 03-14-24

Indulgent White Day fic.

____________________________________________________________

"Thank you again for dinner, Shinji." Rei said aloud as she walked hand in hand with her boyfriend Shinji.

"Of course, Rei. Today's special, so I thought it only made sense to do something special for our date." Shinji told his girlfriend before scratching his cheek, "Besides, it kind of gives me a break from cooking heh..."

Both of them had just come from a dinner date at a restaurant Shinji had made a reservation for; having wanted to treat Rei to something special for White Day. They enjoyed a nice dinner with some comfortable discussion about how their past days apart have been. Neither had really noticed an hour pass as they ate and talked, before they then finished up, with Shinji paying for the meal. The couple were now simply walking on the side of the street, in the general direction of Rei's own apartment.

The two of them had worn casual but still somewhat formal clothing for the event, Rei having worn a dark teal sundress that she had gotten upon a shopping trip with Shinji's help. The outfit had made him somewhat speechless upon seeing her in it, still so used to seeing her in her school uniform that the sight of her in a dress still stunned him despite his hand in helping her pick it. Shinji meanwhile stuck to a dark pair of jeans with a light mint colored polo shirt he too recently acquired as well as carried along his satchel he generally would use for school. Upon being asked why he had brought the bag, he only dismissed it as not something she needed to worry about.

"It was good, though I also enjoy your cooking as well, but it was very nice to eat at a restaurant." The blue haired girl commented as she turned her red eyes towards her boyfriend.

"Well, I'm just glad you had a good time." He offered her a smile as gazed at her before then looking up at the sky which was starting to darken as the sun began to set and then turned back to her, "... though it's starting to get dark, did you want to head back to your apartment?"

"Hmm, Actually... there is a nearby park that I was wondering if you would like to take a walk through it together?" She asked him.

"Sure thing Rei." He agreed as he allowed himself to be led by hand, following alongside his girlfriend.

It wasn't that far, and the park was not that big either all things considered. Regardless though, it provided a nice environment for the couple to take a stroll through. The street lamps around it had turned on, ensuring the park was illuminated as they walked along the concrete paths, a light breeze slightly nipped at their faces and hands but not enough to make them feel cold.

No commentary was needed from either of them as the soft movement of grass and leaves from wind made a soft melody that only occasionally was drowned out by the faint sound of vehicles in the cityscape around the park. A nearby pond provided muted reflections of the lights around that rippled along the water's surface in the dimming evening sky.

Shinji then noticed a bench near a public waste bin and a lamp post that kept it illuminated, causing him to gesture Rei's attention to it. Wordlessly she led them towards the seating, though continuing at their leisurely pace they had already established until they found themselves in front of it.

Upon sitting down on the bench, Rei let out a small exhale as she moved into Shinjis side. Holding gentle on to his arm as she rested her head upon his shoulder. Closing her eyes and feeling as he leaned into her hair made her sigh in comfort.

"Today has been nice." She stated as she opened her eyes to look up at the sky and despite the light of the nearby lamppost, was still able to see some stars that had started to appear in the evening sky.