The man

PHANA'S POV
I drink my coffee while sitting in the chair inside the coffee shop near the hospital that I am working at. Just a walking distance. JVC hospital is very well known here in this province. I actually just wanted to be an intern here but at some point, after everything happened in my life, I decided to work here as a resident doctor. I left the Bangkok and work here for almost 5 years. My friends are in the Bangkok, they are working there while I am here alone. It's not that I'm lonely tho since sometimes they visited me or call me so I don't feel that I am alone and they doesn't care about me anymore.

Beam and Kit is still the friends that I know up until now. They are still playful but kind, they are also more mature now that we are almost in our 30's.

Beam has already been married to Forth for 3 years, while Kit and Wayo's relationship is still going strong. They were boyfriends during our college days and married each other 1 year after Wayo started working at their own company.

I am happy for them like I am beyond happy. Though, sometimes I was wondering why between our circle of friends, I am the only one who is single up until now. The three of us are busy with works during college and after college but even now, I can't get someone while those two already had someone and happily married.

I sip my coffee and then turns my head to the people walking outside the coffee shop. Since it was a glass window, I can see the people clearly. Even the car that passed by.

A couple. I saw a couple who are holding their hands while walking with smiling and talking to each other. I don't hear anything but it seems like they are talking about something nice. Their smile is the cutest.

I continue to enjoy my free time when suddenly someone stopped beside my table. I looked up and saw a man wearing a simple white shirt and pants. He even have key on his pants, dangling it beside his belt. The man hold his phone on a left hand and coffee on his right hand.

Slowly, the man smiles charmingly to me. I personally think that those charming smile can melt a person.

“Can I take a seat?” the man asked me so I nodded my head, signaling him to just sit across me. He did it and again smile at me sweetly.

“Thank you for letting me sit with you.” He said again. He looks at me and looks at the bag beside me. “Are you here for work?”

I nodded my head to his questions. “I am doctor. I worked at the hospital near this coffee shop The JVC.”

“Doctor really suits you.”

“Really? Why?”

“Well you look respectable person. You also looks neat, your hair, your clothes, the way you sit on the chair while looking outside is so pure and magnificent. It remind me of someone I know actually.”

I chuckles with his explanation. It's the first time I heard someone describes me as pure and magnificent. It was indeed so funny and heartwarming.

“I also can imagine that you are wearing a white coat with a stethoscope hang in your neck while some pen are in your pocket. You are walking in the hallway and some nurse or other doc called your name. Greets you and smile at me. Patients are also waiting for you with a warm smile on their face.” he also added, which makes me shake my head in amusement. This guy in front of me are one of many.

“You flattered me, Mr.” I said, a little bit shy. I received so many comments like that, compliment and such but it was the first time someone called me with the words that the man said.

He chuckles and sip his coffee and winks at me.

“Anyway, how about you? Are you here for work too?” I asked him which is he immediately answered with a nod.

He smile at me again before explaining, “I am here for work. You know the building around the corner? Near the JVC hospital? I am tasked to handle that project. I'm an engineer.”

“An engineer? That suits you.” I smiled at him after that.

“I know I know. People often said that.” he said with his signature smile on his face. “By the way, I bet you are already staying in this place for more than a year so I just want to ask you something. Can I?”

I looks at him confusedly but nodded my head. “Spill it.”

“It's actually my first day here. I just got here and I visited the building before going here at the coffee shop to have some drink first and I just want to know if you know a place near the building I will be working on?”

“Why?”

“I don't have any place to stay at so I really need to find a place today before it becomes night.” he explains that makes me frown.

“You don't have any recommendations before going here?”

He nodded his head at me. “Yes, I don't. My boss only called me last night when I am in the middle of sleep. He said he have a project for me and told me the place. It was too sudden so after I packed my things I immediately go here. I forgot to search for the hotel recommendations or dorm.”

Oh, so he just got here today and now he doesn't know where to stay since it was too sudden.

“I am staying at the condo near the JVCH and it was also near the building that you will working out. If you want to I can help you go there and asked if there are still a room. That's the only place you can stay at that's near your workplace.”

“Really? You will do that?” he asked me. He looks thankful so I smile at him.

“Thank you! You're the best, Doc.” he shows a thumbs up to me so I chuckles with that. So cute.

“Welcome. Just go to the hospital later and tell my name, I'll go with you. Now drink you coffee before it turns cold.” I said. He smile at me and start drinking his coffee while he is typing something on his phone. I guess he is currently talking to someone so I put my attention to the window again. Looking at the people who walks around.

Peaceful. That is the word that I can describe the ambiance inside the coffee shop.

I feels like I am back home.

We continue doing our own business without talking with each other until my phone rang, indicating that there's announcement. I turned my face to the screen and saw that the JVC hospital app are slowly showing a red code. I quickly tapped the app and saw that the hospital are getting so many patients. It was an app for all the residents of the hospital. It was made by the friend of the owner of the hospital.

I quickly stand up, grabbed my things and run towards the exit but then I remember the man who are sitting in front of me so I take a quick walk back and smile at man.

“It's Dr. Kongthanin… Phana Kongthanin.” I reached out my hand in front of him. “Nice to see you.”

The man smile at me as well. He grabbed my hands. “I'm Engineer Dechapanya. Mingkwan Dechapanya. Nice to see you as well, Dr. Kongthanin.”

I bowed my head for the last time before run towards the exit again, leaving him alone inside the coffee shop. I crossed the road and turn my body to face the coffee shop again. I saw him looking at me with a smile on his face so I smile at him again and waves my hand.

My eyes starts getting teary for staring at him for long so I turn my back and run towards the hospital.

I missed him. I really missed him and I'm happy to see him now. Even though, it was too bad because he act like he doesn't know me when in fact, we know each other.

Mingkwan Dechapanya… my first man… my first love