Prologue - A

Bailey trudged through the knee-deep snow, her breath forming frosty clouds in the frigid air. Her father led the way with determined steps, his figure a sturdy silhouette against the white expanse of the blizzard.

Her father was like her guiding light, her candle of hope that showed her the right path to take whenever she felt indecisive.

"Stay close, Bailey," he called out, his voice barely audible over the howling storm.

Bailey nodded, pulling her thick scarf tighter around her neck. She had always admired her father's resilience in the face of adversity; he was a veteran of many such treacherous journeys through the mountains, but even he seemed tense in this relentless blizzard.

"This was just supposed to be a supply run..." Bailey mumbled to herself, feeling waves of despair wash over her as she contemplated the hundreds of other paths she could've chosen to avoid such a catastrophic experience.

Bailey had settled into a bustling life in her cozy San Francisco apartment, thriving as a newspaper editor. However, a week ago, she made a spontaneous decision to visit her family in Aomori City for the spring - little did she know that this seemingly innocent choice would soon turn into a regrettable experience.

Visibility was near zero, the landscape reduced to a monochrome world of white and gray. Bailey's father scanned their surroundings with experienced eyes, navigating through the snow-covered terrain with practiced ease.

Hours passed in a relentless battle against the elements. The cold seeped through their clothes, biting at their skin with icy fingers. Bailey's endurance was tested, but she pushed forward, drawing strength from her father's unwavering presence.

Occasionally, a branch weighed down by snow would crack under the pressure, startling them both with its sharp sound. Yet, they pressed on, their determination unbroken despite the harsh conditions.

Bailey's cheeks were flushed crimson from the biting cold, despite the layers of clothing and insulated gloves she wore. The chill had seeped into her bones, leaving her feeling numb and unable to carry on.

"Dad... I need to stop for a moment," she pleaded, though her words were lost in the howling winds of the blizzard.

"Dad, do we have any more water?!" she called out, adjusting her voice to be audible over the blizzard without draining her energy too much. However, as her father turned back to reply, a sudden, piercing gunshot echoed across the terrain, shattering across the sounds of the blizzard.

...

They both fell silent, their heads turning simultaneously towards the direction from which the gunshot had originated.

Then, the sudden realisation hits them like a bag filled with bricks; it was not the sound of a gunshot that had pierced the air, but rather a bright flare shooting up into the sky, illuminating the snowy landscape around them.

"Woah..." Bailey exclaimed in awe, her eyes adjusting to the sudden burst of light that illuminated the serene dangers of the snowy landscape. The flare painted the sky in vibrant hues, casting long shadows across the snow-covered terrain.

"We should go check it out," Bailey suggested, her voice filled with curiosity as she turned to her father. However, her father remained skeptical, his brows furrowed with concern.

"I'm not sure, Bailey," he replied, his tone cautious. "It could be a trap or a signal for danger. We need to proceed with caution. Besides, we need to get home, this blizzard isn't going to clear up anytime soon."

Despite her eagerness, Bailey understood her father's apprehension. The wilderness could be unpredictable, and they couldn't afford to take unnecessary risks. Still, the allure of the mysterious flare beckoned to her adventurous spirit.