Chapter 3 - First step

Gabriel smiled up at Porthos, as he placed a glass in front of her. Sure, it was a bit early in the morning for drinking, but Porthos and Aramis had already told the new boy, that they should celebrate him taking the first rung of the ladder to becoming a Musketeer. Yet as happy as she felt about taking that step; as happy as she was that her disguise was working, in truth she still couldn't believe that the night before she had saved some Musketeers. That none of them had said anything before, during, or after the fight about who they were, even though she had spoken at length about her ambitions and her family ties to the Musketeers. But most of all, she couldn't help but think about the sullen Athos, who had taken a table and was drinking by himself.

"Can I ask you something.....?" Gabriel asked, as she looked at Porthos, Aramis and d'Artagnan.

"Ask away........" Porthos agreed, slapping Gabriel on the back before taking a seat next to her. Gabriel sure that if he kept that up, she would be black and blue by the evening.

"Why didn't you tell me who you were when I came to help you with the shackles? When I said I hoped one of you could fight. When I was talking about my father and grandfather and how I wanted to follow in their footsteps......?"

"Well........" d'Artagnan began, as he looked at the others for a little support.

"On the way here, you seemed so enthusiastic about things, that I felt a little rude about interrupting. I must admit that I found it interesting listening to your stories about your father and grandfather. I know of your family name; all Musketeers do, but none of us were ever fortune enough to meet either of the gentlemen in person." Aramis explained, giving Gabriel a small smile.

"And before the fight.............?" The three men in front of her going quiet for a moment.

"We had other things to think about at the time........." Porthos suddenly said. The other two men nodding in agreement.

"But does it really matter? All that matters is that we got away, safe and sound, and you made it to your appointment with the captain. And now, just like d'Artagnan here, one day you will be able to call yourself a Musketeer." The big man continued, before finishing his drink.

"Can I ask one more thing...........?" Gabriel enquired, as she looked back at a brooding Athos.

"What would he be like towards me, if I hadn't saved you......?" All eyes turning to look at Athos, as he poured himself another drink from the bottle on the table.

"Don't take it personally, Gabriel. He's like this a lot. It's just Athos. He'll come around. He can be a little cold before you get to know him; but I am sure that you will both grow on one another........."

"Like warts.........." Porthos whispered under his breath. d'Artagnan nearly spitting out his drink.

"Like I said in the captain's office, I think you did a great job. And I for one can't wait to see what you can do tomorrow.........." Aramis continued, giving Porthos a glare for his comment. Aramis not blind to the fact that for some reason, their friend had already taken against the young man.

"Tomorrow.........?"

"What Aramis means, Gabriel, is that the captain will have you in front of the Musketeers, in the training yard. Its will give him.....well, all of us, a chance to see what you can really do. And I don't mean to put any pressure in you; but when it gets around that you are a Fontin, I should imagine that everyone will be there." d'Artagnan explained; giving his fellow young man an apologetic smile.

"And how will I prove what I can do..........?"

"You'll fight a Musketeer." Porthos replied simply, before refilling his glass.

"One of you..........?"

"Maybe. But its up to the captain. It could be any Musketeer. It could even be Athos over there.............." Aramis said, before gesturing over to the gloomy man. Gabriel once more looking at the pouting man.

She had to think that it was a shame, really, that he chose to sit under such a dark cloud. If she could forget about the insult and how off with her, he had been since the other evening; and if she liked men like him, of course, she would have to confess that she found him quite handsome. From his mop of dark hair and neatly trimmed beard, that drew one's eye to his sharp jaw; to the way he held himself with a certain bearing; there was something different about Athos. Yet it was his eyes, those dark looking eyes that seemed to speak volumes. It was true that she was still only young, and her experience with men was really only limited to her growing up with her father and grandfather; she could still sense a sadness behind those eyes. Something that seemed to weigh heavily on him. Gabriel wondering what that weight, what that darkness might be. But whatever it was, she didn't think that it gave him a right to treat her as he was doing. She had saved him, saved all of them from an unknown fate. And even though she didn't expect him to fall to her feet; not treating her like she was going to be some kind of burden, would be nice. Gabriel actually finding that she hoped that it would be Athos she would face. That she would get a chance to show him it wasn't just her father and grandfather's name she possessed, but also their skills.

                                                          >>-------------------------------------<<

Athos discreetly looked to where his friends sat drinking with the young Fontin. He knew that he should be sitting with them, the boy had saved them and taken the first step to becoming a Musketeer; a step to adding his name to his family's legacy. And given what he had witnessed firsthand, Athos was sure that given the flare and skill with a sword the boy already seemed to possess, his name would one day be as famous as his predecessors. And normally, he would find it an honour to mentor such a young man. But there was something, something he couldn't put his finger on about the young Fontin; and it was hanging heavily on his mind.

When Gabriel had come over and helped him with his shackles, Athos had taken note of the boy's eyes, his features. There was something unusual about them; something...........soft. Of course, he could put it down to him still only being young; that he was yet to properly fill out, his jaw to become firmer. But at one point, when Athos had insinuated that Gabriel might have been with the Spanish, the look on the boy's face and the fire in his eyes had made Athos want to reach out and touch his cheek. To apologise for hurting him, and he couldn't work out why. Athis believing it better to keep a little distance between them, until he had thought more about it. Though he wasn't to know, that that might be easier said than done.............