Chapter 9 - The invitation

Weeks had passed since Gabriel had told Athos what she thought about him; and since that morning, he seemed to have done his best to stay as far away as possible from her. He was of course always at the barracks; but kept to himself, as Aramis and Porthos kept her busy with training. In truth, she was glad for all the hard work; not only did it make her feel as though she were back home, training with her father and grandfather, but it also stopped her from thinking about Athos.

She had to admit that she felt bad for saying what she had said, for calling him an ungratefully bully and a drunk; but she could only take so much, and her father had always said that she had a temper. A temper that she had always had to control so that she could keep a clear head when she fought.

If asked, she would say that she wished that she could go back to that morning. That instead of shouting and insulting him, she would try and make him sit; try and get him to talk, so that she could find out what she had done that had made him dislike her so much. Because in truth, she really did still think that he was one of the best that the regiment had. Her thoughts completely filled with the notions of what could have been, until she suddenly found herself on the floor.

"What has gotten into you today.........?" Aramis asked, as he stood over her. Gabriel's hand rubbing the side of her face that Aramis' fist had just collided with.

"I told you to keep your guard up. If you lose your weapons, you have to be capable of defending yourself with your fists........" Aramis continued, as he offered Gabriel his arm. The young Fontin gratefully taking it, and letting her friend pull her to her feet.

Since arriving in Paris, Aramis, Porthos and d'Artagnan had quickly become good friends. The three feeling like brothers that she had never had. Porthos with the ability to make her smile and laugh, even at the most inopportune moments. Aramis with the kindest heart, and probably the most sentimental of the three. And d'Artagnan, well d'Artagnan was wonderfully naïve and childlike in someways; which seemed strange for her to say, seeing that she was a girl that had spent all her life on the family farm. That she was the one that had been in Paris for only a short time. Gabriel sometimes feeling like she was his big sister, despite being a year younger than him. That she had to protect him. Not that she minded, for he had already helped her in so many ways; telling her how he had dealt with things when he had first got to the capital, about his own steps to becoming a Musketeer.

"I'm sorry, Aramis..........." Gabriel replied, as she continued to rub her chin. Aramis pulling her hand away to make sure that he had not done any real damage.

"You'll be fine, Gabriel. Why don't you get some water, and then we will move on to musket practice........." Aramis smiled, as he placed his arm around her shoulder and walked her over to where Porthos and d'Artagnan were practicing. Gabriel nodding happily. Glad to do something other than getting punched by Aramis, all day.

"Fontin!" A voice suddenly called out. Gabiel and Aramis turning to see Chardin making his way over to them.

"The captain wants to see you." The tall, slender, blonde-haired man continued. Giving Aramis a nod, before leaving the pair.

The captain? What could Monsieur Treville want to see her about? She had done everything that Aramis and Porthos had wanted her to do. She thought that she was fitting in. But perhaps someone had finally realised that Gabriel was just a disguise. Or maybe, and she didn't know whether this was worse than her true identity being discovered, Athos had now taken it upon himself to inform the captain of what she had said to him that morning. Though if either of these were the reason that she had been called upon, she just wished that Chardin had got the message to her before Aramis had hit her in the side of the head. That, and she would give Treville a few home truths about the great Athos before she left.

"Well......go on then." Aramis smiled, giving her shoulder a push in the general direction of the captain's office. Gabriel just nodding, before leaving the older man. Porthos and d'Artagnan quickly coming to join him.

"What's going on...........?" Porthos enquired, as he pushed his sword back into his sheath.

"Treville just called Gabriel to the office." Aramis replied. He and the others watching as the young Fontin knocked on the office door. Aramis turning his gaze to where Athos was sat in the shadows; hoping that the reason for Gabriel being summoned, had nothing to do with his friends continued distancing from the boy.

                                                     >>--------------------------------<<

"Captain Treville....?" Gabriel said nervously, as she came to stand in front of the captain's desk. Treville continuing to scribble something on the parchment in front of him with his quill, for a moment, before looking up at him.

"Ah, Fontin. Do you have any good clothes with you.........?" Treville enquired, as he looked her up and down. Gabriel suddenly feeling terribly uncomfortable with her appearance.

"I.........I have a good shirt and jacket; and the trousers that I wear for church on Sundays............." Gabriel replied. Having no idea where this conversation was going, or why Treville was looking her up and down.

"Well, I suppose that they will have to do, until you can get something better made. There isn't enough time now.........Tomorrow, you are to be escorted to the palace by Athos, Aramis, Porthos and d'Artagnan. The word of the arrival of the son of Remy Fontin, appears to have finally spread to the court, and the king wishes to meet you.........."

"The........king.......wish........me.......?"

"Indeed, young Fontin........." Treville chuckled, as he looked at the wide-eyed young man.

"King Louis wishes to meet the son of the man that saved his father's life. So, may I suggest that you wear the sword that the old king presented to your father. That, and be on your best behaviour. You are representing not only the future of the Musketeers, but also your family's legacy. And that means not getting caught with a lady in waiting.........." The captain continued, giving Gabriel a small smile as before returning to the paperwork on his desk. Gabriel taking that as the cue that the conversation was over.

"Oh, and Gabriel............." Gabriel turning to look back, as she got to the door. The captain having picked back up his quill and was now writing again.

"It is not that I doubt your skill; but stay close to the others. If the king is there, Cardinal Richelieu will not be too far away, and I should imagine that he knows all too well about your lineage." Treville explained. Gabriel simply nodding before leaving the room.

                                                        >>---------------------------------<<

"Well......?" Porthos asked, as a shaky looking Gabriel made his way over to them. The big man not sure what the captain could have said, to put the boy in such a state.

"I........you........" Gabriel began; doing her best to collect her thoughts.

"You are all to escort me to the palace tomorrow. The king wishes to meet me.........." Gabriel continued, as he took a seat on the side of the well. Her eyes flying up, as the other began to laugh, and Porthos ruffled her hair.

"Didn't take long fa that fancy name ta get ya places, did it? Looks like we're playing babysitter tha king's new favourite, tomorrow, boys. Though, there are worst things we could be doing. And it means I will get another chance ta see that pretty little Isabella." Porthos continued happy, placing his arm over Gabriel's shoulders.

"But no Isabella's for you, young Fontin. You have ta be on ye best behaviour; and anyway, tha women at court would chew you up and spit out a pretty, naive lad like you." Aramis shaking his head, as Porthos' continued his teasing of their young friend.

"Leave the boy, Porthos. He's still in shock. It not every day you get to meet a king. Now, lets get you back to your training......" Aramis said, as he pulled Gabriel away from Porthos, pushed a pistol into his hand and pointed his at the target.