Chapter 2 - We meet again

She groaned, as the light hit her face. Slowly she opened her eyes and looked around, remembering that she had taken a room in the tavern that Porthos had taken them to, the night before.

The ride to Paris with the four men had proved to be quite a pleasant one. Aramis, d'Artagnan and Porthos talking happily with her about her hopes of being a Musketeer; and about who her father and grandfather were, it only Athos that had completely ignored her. Though given that she had already decided that she didn't like him either, she didn't much care. That, and she would probably never see the four again, in a huge place like Paris, so it really didn't matter about his opinion. The sound of a distant church bell chiming making her sit bolt upright.

Her appointment. Her appointment with Captain Treville! Gabriel dropping heavily onto the floor as she tried her best to jump out of bed. Cursing her own clumsiness, as she scrambled to her feet and reached for her sword. Suddenly wishing that she had stuck to her guns about only really drinking water and milk, when Porthos had bought her a drink; telling her that she deserved it for helping them. Though, in truth, it was probably the drinks that Aramis and d'Artagnan had bought her after, that had done the damage to her aching head. Gabriel throwing open the door to the room and racing down the stairs.

In truth, she had no idea in what part of Paris she was. Nor how far away the Musketeer's barracks were. But even if she had to run clear across the city, she would still get to her appointment on time.

"The........." She began, doing her best to catch her breath, as she looked at the large man that was cleaning the tables.

"The Musketeer's barracks........where.......where............?"

"I think you'll find that what ya after is just down tha way. Aramis said that ya had an appointment with tha captain. I was actually just comin up to wake ya. Him and tha others said ya couldn't be late.........." The man explained with a chuckle, as the young man in front of him, dropped into one of the chairs. Only able to put Aramis' kindness down to the fact that he struck her as having a good heart. Unlike his friend Athos.

"Can I get ya anything..........A drink...........?"

"Yes......water............" The large man nodding and continuing to chuckle, before heading behind the bar.

                                                         >>---------------------------------<<

She looked at herself in the small mirror. Knowing that the barracks was only a short distance away, meant that she had been able to return to her room and prepare herself a little better for the meeting with the captain. Wishing that she could look a little more masculine; but she could only do so much with what she had, for the first time, finding herself cursing at her finer, more delicate features. Yet, it was too late to worry now. She had fooled Porthos, Aramis, d'Artagnan and Athos, and they had all seemed to be observant; so, all she could hope was that Captain Treville didn't look any deeper and didn't know that the boy she was pretending to be, her brother, had died when he was young; and all that Remy had had left, was a well trained daughter.

"Good luck, lad.............." A voice called out, as Gabriel made her way down the steps and to the front door of the tavern.

"Thank you Monsieur Lefebre. I think I might need it........" She called back to the landlord, before making her way out into the already bustling streets of the capital city. A smile coming to her lips as she spied two men dressed in Musketeer tunics and followed after them, as they made their way to the barracks.

                                                        >>---------------------------------<<

"What do you want?" A man enquired gruffly, as she made her way through the gates.

"I.........." She began, as she stood up a little straighter, and tried to appear far more confident than she actually felt.

"I have an appointment with Captain Treville. My name is Gabriel Fontin........."

"Fontin...........ya wouldn't be Louis's boy........? No, ya too young....ya must be Remy's..........."

"Yes. Remy Fontin was my father. Louis my grandfather............."

"Well, why didn't ya say. Ya grandfather was one of tha best. And ya father.........not many men that get called friend by a king........." The man smiled, before gesturing for Gabriel to follow him. Her eyes growing wide, as they made their way through the courtyard, and she saw the man training. Sword clashing, and the sound of gunfire ringing out, as musket balls found their targets. Gabriel quickly stopping as they came to a door. The man knocking and opening it when he heard a voice bidding him enter.

"Captain. Young Fontin to see ya..........." The man said, before opening the door and letting her in. Gabriel nodding respectfully to her escort, before he closed the door behind her.

"So........" The captain said, as he looked up from the papers on his desk and gestured for her to take a seat on the chair across from him.

"You are the son of my old friend Remy? You do know that your family name is quite a legend around here, don't you? If it weren't for your grandfather's training, many a Musketeer might not have reached an old age. And your father, singlehandedly saved the late king from an assassination attempt; the king calling him a friend.......you have some big shoes to fill, young Fontin........" Treville continued, leaning back in his chair.

"Though from what I hear, you have already been trying to make a name for yourself............." A small smile pulling at the corners of Treville's lips, as the young man in front of him furrowed his brow.

"I have been informed that last evening you rescued four men from the clutches of ten enemy soldiers............?"

"Well, yes......but I can.......I can explain, though. It was just by chance, really. It was nothing, and it was not all down to me. The men helped, and the Spaniards had been drinking............."

"You are being humble, young Fontin........I am sure that you more than played your part. What would you say, gentlemen.........?" Treville interrupted, as he looked over Gabriel's shoulder. Gabriel turning, her eyes widening as she saw four men leant up against the wall behind her.

"You of course remember Musketeers Aramis, Porthos and Athos. As well as d'Artagnan..........." The captain added, as he got to his feet and made his way over to the other men. All of them looking at the wide-eyed young man in front of them.

"I would say that young Fontin here, did more than his fair share, captain. If it weren't for him coming to our rescue, the lord only knows what might have happened." Aramis agreed, as he pushed himself away from the wall, and made his way over to where Gabriel sat, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"I also think that his father and grandfather would be proud of him." Aramis added. Gabriel watching as Porthos and d'Artagnan nodded in agreement. Athos still just standing quietly, not moving an inch. Though his eyes were firmly set on her.

"Well then, perhaps we should have you men keep an eye on young Fontin. Have him join with d'Artagnan. See if he really can live up to his family's reputation. And if he is truly as handy with his sword as you say, then another Fontin might just be joining the ranks of Musketeer. What do you think, Athos, could you handle another one like d'Artagnan?" Treville, asked, as he turned his attention to the sullen Athos. Gabriel watching, as he pushed himself off the wall and made for the door of the office.

"I think I have better things to do than watch over the boy......" Came the reply before he left the office.

"Don't worry Gabriel. He's just sulking because you helped rescue us. Now what say we go and have a drink to celebrate d'Artagnan no longer being the only one wet behind the ears?" Porthos chuckled, as he took Gabriel's hand and pulled her to her feet. The captain just nodding as the big man pushed her out of the door with Aramis and d'Artagnan close behind.