1

(Lalit's messenger tunic and cloak in media)

"Ready Bane?" Lalit asked as he pat the dragon's scaled back.

He got a huff in return and frowned. After taking a few steps so that he could look Bane in the eye, Lalit said, "I know you don't like going far but we're gonna be okay. We'll get there, give them the invitation and fly back!" He smiled and pressed a kiss to Bane's nose. "I promise, we'll be fine. And you know why? Because you're the one protecting us." He got a blast of hot air to his face and laughed, knowing he'd cheered his best friend up.

After checking to make sure everything was in place and secured, Lalit climbed onto his dragon's back. "Let's go." He said, and seconds after the request was made the two were taking off, towards their enemy's land. When they'd risen quite a bit off the ground, Lalit shivered and tightened his purple messenger's cloak around himself, curling into Banes neck and yawning. "Wake me if the need arises." He said sleepily, only getting a slight nod in return before he drifted into a light slumber. He knew Bane would protect him, trust was the only thing that allowed Lalit to sleep.

***

When Lalit woke a few hours later, it was because the sun had begun to rise and Bane was slowly making his way towards the ground where a pub could be seen. When the dragon landed, the elfish boy carefully slid down his back and plopped onto the ground, sighing when he could stretch his cramped muscles. After twisting and turning to get the kinks out of his back, Lalit pat Banes snout and said, "Make sure no one touched the mail, I'll be right back." Before he could walk away, though, Bane gently nipped at his cloak and seemed to glare with his slitted purple eyes.

Lalit groaned and pulled his cloak and tunic to the side, revealing the heavy dagger that rest on his hip. "I'll be fine." He smiled, "They probably have things for dragons to eat and drink out back, get some then I'll meet you back there, okay?"

Bane nodded slightly and cast a suspicious look at the pub before stalking around to the back. Lalit rolled his eyes and muttered, "Over grown lizard."

When inside the brightly lit room, Lalit sighed and made his way towards an empty table. After sitting down, a woman with long black hair made her way towards him and smiled as she asked, "Anyt'ing you'd like t'day?" He nodded, "Got any grits?"

"Yup, I'll be right b'ck wit' t'at." Her accented voice said and then turned away, walking towards the back room. Lalit's eyes widened as he saw the black leopard tail that peaked from the bottom of her long dress. That's how he knew he was getting farther from the castle, shape shifters were known to not like large crowds, so they often stayed away from the main part of the kingdom.

After eating and paying, Lalit walked around back to see Bane laying flat on his stomach, looking bored and full. "Lazy arse dragon." Lalit said as he looked over the nearly sleeping dragon. He giggled and jumped when Bane suddenly stood and took the front of his black tunic in his teeth and lifted him from the ground. "Bane!" The squealing boy laughed, he could only imagine Bane scolding him for the lazy comment if he could talk. "I get it, lesson learned!"

After being set back down, Lalit ruffled his violet waves and smiled brightly. "You are so mean."

The fond look in Bane's eyes was obvious as he looked over the fragile boy. The two may joke around a lot, but they were each other's souls. Without the one the other couldn't exist. It was how it worked between a dragon and its master.

When the two were done messing around they set off again, Bane going at a fast yet steady pace so that they could make it there by night fall. He didn't like the thought of Lalit being out in the open for another night. The darkness had danger around every turn and Bane didn't want Lalit harmed.

***

The sun was setting when Lalit caught the first glanced of the enemy kingdom. Wiverlin stood tall and proud on the other side of the large river that separated the land in two. Though Lalit hated the kingdom, he had to admit it was beautiful. The gold and black detailing on the flags that were raised shone in fading sunlight, and the castle itself was mighty.

Bane landed on the bridge that lead out from the entrance of the main and outer wall. Though he could have easily flown over it and saved time, he knew they wouldn't have been welcomed. So, when Lalit stepped onto the cobblestone bridge and stood confidently in front of his dragon, there seemed to be a deep silence before the gate swung inward and two figures on horse back rode towards them. The sound of hooves on stone made Lalit shiver and he tightened his bright cloak around himself before adjusting his messenger bag.

One figure rode closer than the other and Bane suddenly stiffened, his muscles locking up as he caught the scent of the rider. It was familiar. Lalit took no notice of his dragon and took a few steps forward as he began to announce himself. "I am Lalit Vines, messenger for-" He was cut off as Bane roared from behind. The violet haired boy began to turn when he was snatched into Banes claws as the dragon flew. Seconds after, a horn was blown and Lalit was honestly just confused. He had no idea what was happening.

"Bane?" He called, but was ignored as they rose higher into the quickly darkening sky.

Cries could be heard around them, in the air. They almost sounded like an eagle but had a more throaty growl like tone to them. Lalit closed his eyes and flinched when Bane shook and began to descend. There were more cries, and the elfish boy now recognized them- Griffins. Extremely dangerous.

Bane growled and a fire blasted from his mouth, and Lalit cracked an eye open to see three griffins plummeting to the earth, scorched and dead. It was a terrifying sight, but Lalit knew that they had intended to hurt him and Bane. The dragon's claws loosened around Lalit and the boy untied the cloak from around his neck and let it flutter away. His black wings burst from his back and Lalit took flight. He got to where he was right beside Bane's head, and the dragon was panicking. Lalit wasn't in a safe spot- he was out in the open as griffins attacked.

When one of the mixed creatures came from behind, Lalit shot it with a blast of cold magic from his palm, causing the beast to freeze in mid-air and drop. He continued on but noticed that Bane and him were making no progress, and where now just flying in place as they fought them off. Lalit was close to the wall that surrounded the kingdom, and he was shocked when a net nearly hit him. He looked down to see people with net canons firing at him.

The next thing Lalit knew, he was wrapped in thick rope. His wings were trapped to his body, causing him to descend towards the ground. "Bane!" He screamed, "Help me!"

The dragon was too busy, though. There were griffins surrounding him and no matter how hard her tried, he couldn't get through to his master who was about to meet the ground. Just before the boy met a harsh end, one of the beasts grabbed the net surrounding him and lifted him. Bane was freaking out, his eyes were wide and he whimpered as he fought. He needed to save Lalit, protect him. That was his only purpose in life and he needed to fulfill it.

But, before he could do anything more, a pain ripped through the dragon's neck and within seconds he was unconscious and hitting the ground with a loud thud.

***

Lalit was dropped onto ground of the wall, his bones ached from the jarring motion. Tears were dripping from his purple eyes as he struggled and his voice was soar from screaming. "Bane?" He searched the dark skies and cried harder when not seeing his companion.

Footsteps were approaching him and Lalit looked up to see humans in chain mail walking towards him. "Please," He pleaded, "what did you do with Bane? Where is he? Is he-" Before he could continue a harsh kick was delivered to the back of his skull, causing an instant black out.

A/N

THIS IS THE LONGEST CHAPTER I HAVE EVER WRITTEN, DO NOT EXPECT THE REST TO BE THIS LONG

okay, haha, thanks for reading

#Lovewins

VCF