04. airbenders and tears pt.2

˗ˏˋ a couple of months ago ˎˊ˗

Eiyika looked at the sun in the distance, fanning lazily at her face in hopes that the small gusts of wind would cool her down. Its rays were bright and hot, but the pain she felt in her chest was scorching. Each step she took brought her closer to her goal, her safety, and her dignity. She was past sadness and anger. Such low emotions could not adequately describe the despair she felt.

Regardless of her determination, she felt her body beginning to shut down. Her limbs were weak and her mouth was dry from the lack of water. She was on the verge of passing out if not for her brain telling her she needed to make it as far from the Fire Nation as she could. She had felt this anger before and it never ended well for her mentally, but there seemed to be nothing she could do to distract herself. On top of her heavy emotions, she felt something different: a steady drum throughout her soul. Her family hadn't placed much importance on spiritual connections, but she felt weirdly connected to the landscape around her. However, instead of providing clarity, the sensation blurred the lines between the spiritual world and the one around her.

She looked at her hands –delicate and soft– in hopes that feeling her body parts would keep her grounded. She didn't feel grounded, though, she felt an odd sense of sadness; her soft delicate skin was a reminder that she had never worked for anything in her life. She wondered if that was what she felt: resentment within herself rather than at her parents. What made her untouchable in the Fire Nation? Her family name? Her status? She didn't deserve it. There were plenty of other kids that worked for what they had, she hadn't earned any of it.

She felt a slight tremble in the ground at the height of it all. Her dried tears and shaky hands were proof that sadness was amidst the rage. The rage that the earth seemed to feel as well. The ground was shaking just like her mind. The steady tremble grew louder and heavier. Cracks began to form along the earth's surface, making big gaping holes that swallowed loose dirt.

Eiyika knew she should have been scared, it was terrifying, to watch the Earth give away at your feet. But she wasn't. She felt oddly in control of the whole situation; she would not perish unless she allowed it. And she didn't. The Earth continued to crumble and she stood in the middle of it all, hands raised and head thrown back. She didn't realize it at the time, but she had been seizing. Only when a pair of arms wrapped themselves securely around her midsection, did she realize the floor at her shoes was about to give out. The last thing she remembered was falling against a sturdy chest, feeling safer than she had felt in years.

˗ˏˋ later that evening ˎˊ˗