Ruin

Kierra

"Jalisa, I know that Rico isn't the person that I thought he would be, but honestly I just want to know. I wanna know what did he hear that made him want to distance himself from me. When I met him he seemed generally interested in getting to know me, but then after the one night stand things did a complete flip. I just want to know what happened and why." I said, talking to my best friend on FaceTime.

Jalisa made this face letting me know that she knew something that I didn't.

'What?" I asked. Jalisa sighed as she looked at me.

'You really don't know?"

"Know what? What am I missing Jalee, tell me." I said.

"Well, Kendra told me that she overheard some guys talking to Rico and telling him how easy you were to get into. So, my guess of why he switched up on you would be the fact that he thinks that isn't his baby. He did generally have an interest in you, but I think that altered his view of the way that he sees you once he heard that." Jalisa admitted.

I scoffed as I listened to her words. I couldn't believe what I was hearing because if you really knew me then you knew that those allegations were false, and that was the problem. He didn't know me.

"How long have you known this?" I asked.

"The day after you slept with him. I didn't know it for sure until Kendra confirmed it and Rico started acting different towards you, I'm sorry Ki. I know that I should have said something sooner, but you were already stressing out and I didn't want to make things worse. I was trying to p-"

"Protect me, got it." I said, cutting her off.

Looking at my face, I knew that she could tell that I was bothered by the information that I'd just received.

"Come on, don't be mad at me, Kierra." Jalisa said.

'I'm not, I have to go." I said, ending the call.

I stared at the wall for a few moments before deciding to text him. I had to clear this up, because the fact that he believed something that he never directly asked me himself was crazy to me. The problem with a rumor is it became the truth when someone was willing to believe it.

Rico texted me back a few moments later telling me to come over. Grabbing my keys and purse, I headed out the door. Maybe this was crazy and maybe the fact that I was so eager to clear this up was crazier, but in reality I didn't want to raise a baby without its father. I knew that I had family who would be willing to help me, but the fact that remained was that it wouldn't set right with me knowing that my baby was fatherless, and I didn't at least try to do anything to fix it. I wasn't the one that caused the drift between us, but I was the one who had to do the fixing.

Arriving to his house, I pulled myself out of my thoughts as I parked in his driveway. I tried my best to prepare myself to see him again for the first time in eight months, but nothing really prepared me for it truly. As I walked to his door I felt my anxiety rising. Knocking on the door, I waited for him to open it. A few moments later it did and he stood there as he sized me up.