•|prologue

|vaidehi|

Madness is not something I am unfamiliar with

It has always been a part of my life. A part that I always kept hidden because that part is just an empty hollow. It pulls me without a say. Suffocating and unbearable. I hate it.

But still, I can't escape it. 

"Admit it, Vaidehi," his voice echoed from somewhere in the long hallway and a sob escaped through my lips. "There is no one for you."

I want to deny it but I can't. I can't think. I feel so trapped within myself that I can't even differentiate between right and wrong. "Let me out," I begged. "Please."

The red light above me flickered, threatening to die out any moment. I am losing it. I look down at my hands. Red. The knife in my hand drips red and my white nightgown is also red. 

I had taken a life. This isn't me. It can never be me.

Sometimes I see things that aren't real. I see people that aren't real. They always stare at me without a word. Their eyes are always void and blank.

Just like the man on the floor. Pools of blood touched my naked toes and I shrieked, jumping back to stare at it. His throat has been cut out and his eyes are nearly out of the socket. 

I can't believe this. "This isn't real," I screamed, dropping to my knees on the ground. "I can never do this."

Heart-wrenching sobs escape my lips while their voices echo in the dainty room. They are low, almost a hushed whisper but they prick my soul. Like they are eating the last bits of me.

"I can never do this!" I screamed once again, covering my ears with my hands but the voices seemed to increase. 

Accusing me. Eating me. Destroying me. Mad, they say I am mad. Madness has embraced me in his arms and is slowly choking me. I know am I going to die by this but I don't want to. It scares me to death for what I have become. 

A loud noise thudded from out and everything quietened down. The voices disappeared. The screams were gone as I removed my hands.

The man's eyes were still staring at me, devoid of any life. Everything was still red.

His laugh sounded from outside. "Weak and pathetic you are, Vaidehi," he roared and I flinched. Even without him present in the room, I could still feel him getting through me.

"Come out. Come out now!" I picked up the knife from the floor and ran towards the door. It wasn't locked like it had been a few minutes ago which meant he was somewhere near. I don't know if that should make me laugh or horrified to the bone. I was leaning toward the latter.