Chapter 1

AN: Photo above is what Mae looks like!

I woke up to the smell of bacon. After tossing my short body out of my fluffy, pink blankets, I struggled to wake up as I got to my vanity to get ready for the school day. It was a Monday, and I was starting my first day of college at Harvard University – I had always done really well in school and Harvard was my dream school. I put my long blonde hair in a curly, messy bun and went to my closet to pick out an outfit. I decided to keep it casual, and wear jeans and a sweater.

"My little chicken!" My mom calls from downstairs – I hate when she calls me that. It's a stupid, immature nickname she gave me as a kid, and its so embarrassing but she won't stop now. "Mae!" She tries again, knowing I respond better to my real name.

I walked down the stairs, and found my mom cooking me breakfast. My younger brother, Michael, came running to give me a hug. I hugged him back and sat down, "Making bacon I see." I laughed.

"Don't want you going hungry on your first day!" She smiled a warm smile. I was a spitting image of my mother – we both had blond hair and green eyes and a bright smile. People have asked us if we were sisters!

"Well, I guess I'll get going... I do still have to bring my stuff to the dorms after all." I said, grabbing my two suitcases and getting ready to go. My mom, my brother, and I lived only 20 minutes from campus, but I wanted the full college experience so, with some help from my mom, I was able to get a dorm.

"Go make it a great day, sweetie! Call me when you're all set up." She said, as I grabbed a handful of bacon and left.

I arrived at my dorm, and found a nice looking brunette girl setting up her side of the room. She smelled like strawberries and seemed to love the colour blue – considering she had blue bedsheets, a blue hairbrush, and a blue carpet by her bed. "Hi!" She said with a smile, "I'm Aubrey, are you my roommate?"

I stretched out my hand to shake hers, "Hi! Yes, I think I am, my name is Mae." I greeted her, "So... you like the colour blue huh?"

"Yeah... and you like the colour pink huh?" She laughed, eyeing my pink suitcases. Suddenly, her blue phone started ringing, "Oh... I've really gotta take this." She said with a worried look on her face, and hurried into our shared washroom to answer it.

I began setting up my things, putting my posters on the wall, and getting my closet and desk set up. Aubrey came out of the washroom, looking nervous but happy. "Hey, what classes do you have today?" She asked.

"I have Intro to Biomedical Sciences and Chemistry. I want to be a doctor after college and go to med school – what classes do you have?" I asked.

"I have Chemistry too! I am actually majoring in Chemistry, I want to work in research. We should walk to class together and get to know each other." Audrey offered.

"Yes! What a coincidence we take the same classes, maybe that's why they roomed us together." We began walking to class and I couldn't help but wonder what her phone call was about. "So, is everything alright? You seemed worried about that phone call earlier, you don't have to tell me if its too personal."

"Oh yeah," She started, "Its just... my family is in a weird situation. My dad gets involved with some sketchy people – some guys at this school have kinda been bothering me about it. They're harmless, I guess, but... I don't know. It's a lot to explain. What if I talk about it over coffee?" She suggested, and I agreed.

After class, Aubrey and I went to a local coffee shop so she could explain the situation.

"Well..." She started, twiddling her thumbs on the rim of the mug, "My family has a long history with New York... Have you ever heard of mobs and gangs in your high school history classes?"

"You mean to tell me your parents are in a gang?" I said with shock.

"No! No, nothing like that. But because of our family history with the mob, I've come acquainted with people who are in more modern gangs. I am certainly not in one, but I know these guys and they've been my friends since childhood – but their family is in a gang." Audrey explained, "They often call me when they're in trouble, which is why I was nervous by the call – but they were just messing with me." She laughed.

I was shocked. I mean, I had heard about mobs from the 1950s in classes and stuff, but I've never known anyone so closely connected to a real gang. My first day of college was getting to be eventful. "Well that's a shock, are you ever unsafe because of knowing them?" I asked, genuinely fearing for mine and her safety.

"I'm okay, the Sturniolo triplets have always got my back." She winked, "Seriously though, I don't get into trouble, they just need help getting out of it."

I sighed with relief. As long as I don't run into them, I should be fine. I decided to head back to my dorm with Aubrey and finish some reading for class before my next day.