Chapter 3

"Did you have to go that far?" Jessica didn't want one of her sons to die, it would break her.

"You chose to train them in the Way, in defiance to our rule." The Reverend Mother was not happy, "They had to be tested to the limits. You were told to only bear daughters."

Jessica had been ordered to give birth to a baby girl, but instead, she followed her dream. She had always wanted a boy and now she had two of them.  The mist around her swirled, disappointed in her.

"You in your pride thought you could produce the Kwisatz Haderach."

"Was I wrong?" The Reverend Mother turned to face Jessica, "You're lucky they didn't die in that room. If one of them is the One, he has a long way to go. Their sight had barely awakened and now they go into the fire."

Jessica never talked much around the Reverend Mother. She had been her teacher, was now her superior, and was taught to say little in front of her.

"But our plans are measured in centuries. We have other prospects," she continued, "If they fail their promise." The Reverend Mother resumed her walking.

"Do you see so little hope?" Jessica knew she shouldn't have asked but she couldn't help herself.

"I have more hope for the youngest, he has more training. On Arrakis, we have done all we can for you." The door of the spaceship (idk what it's called) opened. Blinding white light flooded out of it. The light swallowed up two Bene Gesserit who were accompanying. "A path has been laid. Let's hope they don't squander it."

Once they had left Jessica felt like bursting into tears but she kept her cool. Her cloak was dancing in the wing with the mist. The rain poured down gently like feathers. She was left in the darkness to return to the building. She started walking breathing slowly to calm her tears.

She spotted her son just ahead of her. His silhouette was unmistakably his.

"Paul," she whispered, taking off her hood.

"What does it mean? That we could be The One?" Paul was tired of secrets. He had been right to follow them.

"You heard." Jessica told herself he might as well know the rest if he knew that much. "The Bene Geserrit serve as powerful partners to the Great Houses." That was all she said but Paul continued.

"But there's more to it. You steer the politics of the Imperium from the shadows. I know." Jessica was surprised and wondered how he knew.

She continued, "You don't know everything. For thousands of years, we've carefully been crossing bloodlines to bring forth..."

"The One?" Paul seemed calm but had millions of questions he wanted answers to.

Jessica told him what The One was, "A mind powerful enough to bridge space and time. Past and future. Who can help us into a better future. We think he's very close now. Some believe he's here." Jessica couldn't see her son's reaction. He was just a shadow in the mist, like a statue.

"All part of the plan," Paul whispered to half to himself. He waited for denial from his mother but there was none. He smirked, not because he was proud but because all he was, was a piece in a jigsaw. His path laid out already if he was The One. He felt uneasy about that.

Something in the shadow twitched. Paul looked closely and he could see an outline identical to his. Zane. He had been listening to it all from the shadows. He told the guard that he could make it to his room alone, and doubled back to follow his brother into the rain silently.

"Zane?" Paul whisper-shouted, surprised he didn't notice, hear or sense him.

"They go into the fire... Crossing bloodlines..." Zane quoted from the conversation, "The Emperor suddenly takes Arrakis from the Harkonnens for no reason..." Zane was trying to piece it all together. Why? A path on Arrakis? Was it another test he had to go through?

Then he knew. He whispered only enough so Paul could hear. He didn't trust his mother much after what he heard. "It's a trap."

____________________

Here's your short chapter for Friday night! For me, Friday night is Pizza night.

Posting a chapter of 'The Day We Met' tomorrow. I'll only be doing it on Saturdays because I would like to write this as my priority (Plus I feel there's a bigger fandom for Dune now that the two movies are out).

I'm going to add a little question at the end of every chapter starting now so I can get to know you guys better. I'll be answering myself as well.

Any thoughts or things you think I should add/remove or even ideas for future chapters can be commented here!

Question: What is your favourite scene in Dune 1 and then in Dune 2?

Warning: This might spoil the second film so make sure you have seen/read it before continuing.

My answer: Dune 1: I like the scene when Paul and Jessica are in the 'thopter (idk what they're called) of the Harkonnens tied up and they escape. I like the scene afterwards in the tent as well.

Dune 2: There are loads of scenes I love in this but I think my favourite one is the end fight Paul vs Feyd-Rautha because I think he knew he was going to win cause he had a short vision at some point where the shot was the one where he stabs Feyd-Rautha.

Thank you so much and enjoy!

-Artemis <3