Chapter 5

It was Paul and Zane's first strategy meeting. Zane had found the operator of the hunter-seeker dead, installed there six weeks ago. Their father thought it best if they started attending a few meetings to teach them the dangers of Arrakis and how to avoid them. The meeting room was small with a dozen chairs surrounding the stone table. Three seats were free for the Duke and his sons.

"Paul Atreides, who catches hunter-seekers in his bare hands and Zane Atreides, who finds the operator as fast as a 'thopter, both like a hero of old," Gurney joked as the two brothers entered the room in a blue uniform. He always knew how to lighten the mood.

"Thanks for the humiliation, old man," Paul whispered, smiling at his comment.

"Gotta keep my eye on you two." Zane smiled at Gurney. He had always liked him, never more than Paul though. Paul and Gurney had a special bond that no one could break. Zane knew that Paul trusted Gurney with his life.

Paul and Zane were mid-way sitting down when a man shouted, "Attention!" Everyone stood up as the Duke entered the room and sat between his two sons, patting them on the back.

"Let's get started." The room sat down. "Thufir, operations."

 Thufir went on and on with information but Paul and Zane weren't listening. They were telepathically discussing what the trap would be.

'They can't attack us without taking down the shields.'

'Then someone will have to infiltrate all our security and take them down.'

'But that's impossible... Unless there's a traitor amongst us.'

'What? No one is brave enough to do that and everyone loves our family. No one would dare betray us.'

'Anything is possible. Whoever it is, the Harkonnens must have something against them then.'

'Keep your eyes out for anything or anyone suspicious.'

Paul nodded at his brother. Leto caught them and wondered what they were discussing. Only he knew that they could communicate between them telepathically and he didn't know if he liked it or not. On one side, in dangerous situations, they could communicate; but on the other, he didn't like the secrecy. It was a love-hate relationship with the telepathy.

***

"Duncan!" Both the boys ran towards Duncan who had just arrived back from the Fremen.

"Ah! My boys!" Duncan chuckled as he scooped up both boys in his arms, lifting them like babies. "I swear you guys are getting taller," Duncan said settling them down.

"Well, you smell much worse," the twins remarked.

In the meeting room, Duncan was debriefing what had happened over with the Fremen, when a guard interrupted them.

"Sire. The leader has a knife he won't surrender, sire."

"It's a crysknife. It's sacred to his people," Duncan filled in.

"Let him pass," the duke said and walked to the opposite side of the table placed at the centre of the room.

A silhouette of a hooded man walked in confidently, and, as he got closer the brothers noticed his blue eyes with no white in them. They forced themselves not to stare. The man had black hair and a beard the same colour.

"Stilgar," the Duke said when the hooded man came up to the marble table. The Duke went on to welcome him.

Suddenly, Stilgar spat on the table. Everyone was shocked but Zane and Paul realised that it was a sign of respect. He gave some of his water the most valuable item on this planet. Maybe their dad's plan was working. Desert power...

"Hold." Duncan in turn spat after saying, "Thank you, Stilgar, for the gift of your body's moisture. We accept in the spirit which it was given."

The Duke Leto spat silently before he spoke, "I'm glad you've come."

They went on with the meeting Zane and Paul intervening at times.

"I must go. That's all I have to say to you." 

'Well, that was a short meeting', Zane said to Paul through his mind.

"Won't you stay? We would honour you," Paul asked hoping you would agree.

To his disappointment, he declined the offer and left. The last words he said were, "I recognise you." He had said it in Fremen.

Paul and Zane understood since they had studied their language and their ways. But where did he recognise them from? They had never met him. Maybe they were part of this prophecy after all.

____________________

Sorry for the short chapter and the pretty long wait! It will get longer once I get to the interesting parts (not that these are not interesting I just struggle to get through them.)

I've decided to start writing my own book that I will publish soon. Of course, it is a romance and fantasy cause those are my all-time favourite genres.

Question:  What is your dream job?

My answer: I have two of them and I can't decide. I want to have an adventure in my life so my first one is an actor. My second one is anything to do with maths cause it's my favourite subject.

Thank you and enjoy!

-Artemis <3