Chapter 5 - New York City

San Francisco- 2023

❀❀❀

A bright flash filled the sky, blinding anything within range. When the light finally disappeared the figures of the Sully family were revealed.

They were collapsed on the ground, limbs tangled with one another like strings of spaghetti. 

Immediately, the family of Na'vi tried to untangle themselves, although it only caused more chaos.

"Lo'ak, please remove your foot from my face," Kamea begged, feeling disgusted by her brothers dirty feet. He huffed at her request although complied instantly in fear of what would happen if he didn't. 

"Daddy?" Tuk whined. She looked pale from their unplanned journey to... wherever they were. Her braids were messy and tangled above her head, making her look worse than she felt.

"I'm right here Tuk," Jake reassured. He picked her up and placed her on his hip, hugging her tightly as if she would disappear when he let go. He quickly scanned his surroundings for his other children and mate, who were all just as distraught as his youngest, trying to gather their bearings.

"Ma Jake? " Neytiri asked from her place beside Lo'ak and Kiri. She was unsure what to do in their situation, so she immediately looked to Jake for guidance.

Jake waved his family over to him quickly. He didn't want to panic them, although he knew wherever they were could be dangerous and they needed to act quickly. "C'mon everyone. Let's try and stick together, yeah?" 

Kamea sighed. She wrapped her arms around herself, providing a false sense of security. She already accepted they would be moving away to the sea clans. She had felt somewhat prepared for what was to come. And now she was stuck here, on a place unknown to her. It felt like the universe was against her.

Neteyam, noticing his sister's stance, pulled her into a side hug. He could almost feel the emotions she felt surging through him, as if they were his own. It always surprised him by how connected they were, and yet it also felt completely understandable at the same time. He wouldn't want it any other way. 

"Teyam? I'm worried," Kamea admitted lowly. She was the oldest child. She had to act like it. But in some moments she just needed to feel lost, and Neteyam would step in to allow her to.

The twins walked toward their dad slowly, too caught up in their own heads to notice his urgency. Lo'ak moved to embrace his older siblings as soon as they approached the rest of the family. He felt instant relief when he could feel his siblings presence. They were okay. They were breathing. They would all be okay. 

❀❀❀

A man by the name of Scott had approached them during the family's mission to figure out where they were. At first, the family was cautious of him, since he was a sky person who didn't seem to look at them like they were monsters. It made Kamea on edge. Perhaps he knew of their existence and wanted to harm them? 

She didn't like feeling so unsure of herself. Whenever she would experience self doubt, she could always look to her surroundings to bring herself down from her panic. She would watch the water of the stream trickle, admiring it's clarity. The familiar sounds of the forest animals would echo in her ears, reminding her of where she was. Everything about it made her feel reassured. It was her way of escaping her mind.