Chapter 2 - Demons

TW: Quaritch and his Perv Friends

❀❀❀

Kamea inhaled the crisp air in the forest. It had been too long since she had last been there. She missed the life residing there. She missed how connected everything was to Eywa. 

She ran alongside Lo'ak and Spider, taking in the beauty of the forest. Kiri strayed further behind with Tuk who kept stopping to admire the plants.

"Tuk, keep up!" Lo'ak shouted at her. He waved his arm for her to follow him, yet she just rolled her eyes and continued her pace behind them.

"She just wants to explore, skxawng," Kamea told him. An annoyed expression was displayed on her face, showing how fed up she was of Lo'ak rushing everyone.

Spider chuckled at Lo'ak's face of betrayal. He loved watching his friend become agitated with his older sister, knowing majority of the time she was right. "Bro, why'd you bring her anyway?" He asked, earning a scoff from Kamea in return.

Lo'ak kept jogging for a bit, before turning around to express his annoyance towards Tuk. "She's such a crybaby!" He said. His tail wagged in agitation, making Kamea pull it in attempt to stop him speaking. He yelped and glared at her, before continuing on with what he was planning to say, "She's all, 'I'm telling! You're not supposed to go to the battlefield. I'll tell mum if you don't let me come!"

"Is that your impression of Tuk?" Kamea laughed, "You sound just  like her!" 

Lo'ak rolled his eyes at her sarcasm. He stuck his tongue out at Tuk who was making faces at him. 

"Don't pick on her," Kiri warned. Although Kamea acted like the eldest of the group, since Spider was so immature, Kiri would always be the first to defend her younger sister against the boys.

"You are all idiots. Let's keep exploring, Tuk!" Kamea exclaimed. 

❀❀❀

The five of them admired an aircraft, caught in overgrown vines, from below. It was truly amazing how life could continue to grow regardless of the location. It was clear from the small creatures nesting in the plane that they couldn't care less about where it came from, only caring about having a safe place to live.

Kamea laid down on a mossy rock, admiring the forest from a different perspective. It had been too long since she was last there. She missed it more than anything.

She listened to her siblings run around, each exploring their own section of the forest. Kamea inhaled deeply, for what felt like the first time in a year. It was as if she shared her breath with the forest. The trees swayed to the beat of her heart, the birds chirped in sync with her blinking, the grass made way for her as she switched position. All the life respected each other, and for that, she respected Eywa.

Ever since she woke up after the incident the night of her 16th birthday, she had felt a different connection to the Great Mother than what others felt. It was like she could feel her breathing. It's like each breath she took, she shared with Eywa. Sometimes Kamea felt like Eywa was pumping the air into her lungs, like the only thing keeping her alive was Eywa's will. 

She had tried to explain how she felt to her parents and Mo'at, yet felt crazy when she saw the looks on their faces. She knew they were just concerned, but she wished they could give her some sense of security with her newfound bond with Eywa. When she looked at her reflection she saw evil, and she didn't want others seeing that too.