Prologue

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Ever since she could remember, Astrid lived an unusual life. She was born in a magical world. And this was not the kind of magical world that was considered so because of the beautiful experiences she lived; It was an actual one with witches, wizards, and creatures from fairytales. The world around her was fantastical and mysterious, and had more than one similarity with the kinds that could be found within fairytales. But living in the magical world never bothered her, as she could never imagine herself being a muggle. She believed that living without magic was simply not possible. This magical realm is her home, and the idea of living life without its magic was simply incomprehensible to her.

Then there was the issue of her family, which could best be described as complicated. Mostly because she had never met her mother and her father was in Azkaban for revealing the secret location where the Potters were hiding, leading to their untimely demise and the creation of the infamous tale of The Boy Who Lived. After her father's imprisonment, she lived with her godfather who was one of his father's best friends, Remus Lupin.

Of course, this came with its own unusual aspects. It wasn't weird due to him being an unrelated person, or him choosing to take her in while putting his life on hold. It was due to the fact that on every full moon her godfather would mysteriously disappear. Obviously, when she was younger she believed that he had some kind of covert job that he couldn't divulge about. However, she later discovered the truth, which proved to be arguably weirder than her initial suspicions. To put it plainly, he was a werewolf. This was of course shocking to her, but she quickly got used to her godfather's lycanthropy as she grew up. Even though it was a big surprise, she slowly became accustomed to it over time and it gradually became less shocking to her. Because for Astrid, Remus was more than just her godfather.

Despite being unrelated, she considered him family and in her eyes, he was. In fact, he was her only familial bond. With her father locked up in Azkaban and unable to stay in contact, as well as her mother being gone, Remus became the only experience of family she had. Despite often imagining how her life could have been with her parents still in it, she wouldn't change a thing about her current life with Remus.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

First year

The time came - the seventh of March, her eleventh birthday - she finally received the highly anticipated letter telling her that she would begin attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry from the first of September. She was so ecstatic that she couldn't stop jumping around and giggling, which amused her godfather greatly. This day would become the one she'd remember as her favorite for years to come, and it would be considered by her the most memorable and significant birthday of her life.

Time seemed to fly rapidly as she and her godfather stood on the busy train platform. Nervousness was evident on her young face, though she would never admit it. Remus saw this and said nothing, just looked kindly at her. As them made their way closer to the train, she kept clinging to his hand. Before he could say anything, the young girl turned around with a worried look on her face.

"What if I don't get sorted into Gryffindor?" she panicked, "What if I can't make any friends?"

Remus smiled at the little one, squatting down to her level as she seemed very anxious. "The house that you're sorted into isn't important," he reassured her, "Every house has its own qualities and you would suit any of them. And I have to tell you, I'm sure you'll make lots of friends." Remus' kind words seemed to have worked as Astrid's worried expression changed into a determined stare.