Flutter of Hope

“What do you mean by that?” I stared into his eyes.

He sighed in disbelief. “Queen Rosa told me all about your uncanny fancies. I’m so embarrassed that I got to learn it from her.”

I was shocked. How could she have told about my preferences to father? Why did she do it?

“Father, it’s not like what you think!” I tried reasoning with him. “I-I don’t have any interest in spending my life with a man, let alone Henry. I agree it’s not common for a female to…you know…like females but can’t you at least acknowledge my feelings?”

His rage infused glare gave me the answer. Before I could say a word, he bellowed, “I will not bear anymore of this worthless emotions of yours. You are immature and have no knowledge of the world. My decision is ultimate. You will be wed to Henry in a couple of weeks.” With that, he stormed off, leaving me rattled to the core.

All hope felt lost, except for the one who had helped me ever since we had crossed paths with one another.

Catherine had learnt about my preferences, but she had supported me whatsoever. Why would she? I had to know, especially when I did feel something for her, although nothing which I wanted to develop without learning her perspective.

The next day, I found myself walking down the many corridors of the palace to the guest wing. Guided by a guard, he led me to one of the rooms and gave it a knock. Within moments the cheerful and mischievous face of Catherine emerged from the room.

“Jane!” she exclaimed excitedly. “What a pleasant surprise! What brings you here this morning?”

“I wanted to discuss about something of much importance,” I replied, gazing at the guard who immediately left us to our conversation.

“Oh, absolutely!” she replied. “Please come in.”

Entering the room, I observed it to be similar to the other guest rooms. It had similar furniture comprising a master bed, a couple of bed side tables and a wardrobe. Other than which the room consisted of candles, a chandelier on the roof and a mattress lay on the floor. A small balcony overlooked the palace garden, refreshing the room in the early morning.

I turned towards Catherine as she closed the door behind us. She caught my arm to which I almost jumped with instinct but she guided me to the bed as we sat down together.

“So what is it that you wanted to discuss?” Catherine asked.

I cleared my throat, trying to think of the right words. Sighing, I asked, “Why have you been helping me?”

The question caught her by surprise as her eyes widened and she jerked back for a short moment. But she regained her composure faster than a bird.

“Should I not?” she questioned. “Are we not friends?”

“Yes we are,” I agreed, “however I cannot help but question why would you help me even after learning about my liking for…females?”

The question caught her off guard once more. I continued, “Anyone would have made their distance from me upon learning about what my likings are. Why then did you not do the same?”

The silence which ensued was louder than the cries of war. The situation was tensed but I knew that it was right of me to have raised these questions.

Finally after a long wait, Catherine replied. “Do you really want to know?"

I huffed. “I certainly do.”

“You’re stubborn, I must say.”

I wrinkled my nose as she chuckled.

“Alright Jane, let me be honest. I have developed feelings for you.”

I gasped as she continued while placing her palm on mine, “The moment I saw you Jane, I do not know what occurred, but there was some bond which I felt with you. I agree it may sound outlandish, but it’s the truth. And seeing you get married with Henry, it breaks my heart. I really do like you Jane.”

My heart fluttered. So Catherine felt the same for me, our feelings were mutual! This complicated things further since I knew no one would be in support for us.

“I feel the same,” I confessed and saw a spark appear in Catherine’s eyes. “I felt the same bond the moment I laid my eyes on you. I do not know what this feeling is, but all I can say is that I feel confident and secure in your presence than any other.”

She moved closer, our eyes looking deep into one another’s. Heat flowed to my cheeks at the close proximity of Catherine with me. Her upturned eyes travelled down my face and landed to where my lips projected. Her face moved closer and in response I did the same. Before we could have quenched our desire, a knock came at the door, startling us and making us jump apart.

"C-come in," Catherine stuttered due to the surprise. A soldier entered into the room and bowed.

"Your Highnesses, King Evans has requested your presence at the earliest."

"Both of us?" I questioned.

The soldier nodded, "Yes Princess."

I gulped. Did that mean trouble?

Looking at Catherine, her eyes communicated my fear. Together, we got off the bed and exited the room, guided by the soldier.

"Why do you think he called us?" Catherine asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know."

"Could it be..." her voice trailed as she looked at me with a knowing look. I did not want to believe the same. But what if it was the truth?

Finally, we arrived at my father's room. The soldier bowed us as we entered inside.

This room was probably the most magnificent of all. A small fountain at the centre, made the room cooler. The massive room stretched wide, almost as large as the dining hall. A long and spacious balcony stretched across the length of the room, overlooking the beautiful garden I had maintained.

Two golden chandeliers hung on either side of the large room. On the left was a spacious region which contained a large pool meant for bathing as well as relaxing whereas on the further right end was the massive cosy bed where for now, father sat waiting for us impatiently.

"Ah, finally!" he exclaimed once he spotted us in the room. "Come here my Princesses."

The two of us approached to the bed as he stood up. Looking at me, he said, "I believe you must be confused at why have I called you two early this morning. It happens to be that I'm more concerned for your marriage than you can be."

Turning towards Catherine, he spoke, "Princess Catherine, since you've become a close friend of Jess and I have come to know about your knowledge in dressing up, I would like to request you to manage all the whereabouts regarding the same hereon for my daughter's marriage."

I was baffled. It seemed more like blessing in disguise!

"Oh, why not my King?" Catherine replied joyously. "I would be honoured to manage this work."

She side-eyed me as I smirked. This meant we could get to spend more time with one another.

Word Count: 1200 Words