Shedding Hopes

"JESS!"

The two of us broke apart in shock at the thundering voice of my father. His face was fuming in anger, and it seemed that he would not mind using his sword than his words at the moment.

Storming up to us, he gave a frightening glare to the two of us.

"Father," I squeaked, "it's not what you-"

Thwack! A defeaning slap landed at my left cheek, the intensity of which made me fall to the floor. I grasped the side of my cheek, it burning with pain as tears rolled down my eyes.

"GET OUT OF THIS ROOM!" he ordered Catherine and without any response, she did as he had asked. Afterall, it was the command of the King.

"F-father-"

"KEEP YOUR FILTHY MOUTH SHUT!" he bellowed. "Good lord! What did I just witness! What did I live for? To see this day unravel before my eyes?"

"But father-"

"You have crossed all the limits Jess!" he bellowed looking down at me. It seemed like I had lost the ability to get up.

"GUARDS!"

Two guards hurriedly entered the room and bowed down to father. Eyeing me with disgust, he commanded, "Make sure no one, AND ABSOLUTELY NO ONE ENTERS THIS ROOM, other than me for the entirety of this day."

The two of them nodded briskly and left the room.

"You're a big shame to our dynasty. Oh how I wish your mother had died giving birth to you. How come did you become so insolent, so disgusting, so macabre, so-"

"Father!" I yelled, tears streaming down my eyes. Slowly I got myself up and stared at him with a blurred vision.

"What's wrong with you father? Why are you not willing to accept what I find my peace in? Why are you being so hard on me?"

Stepping closer, I dared to give him a hug. "Father," I sobbed as I clung on to him, "haven't you always wanted the best for me? Then why are you pushing me into something which will only cause my despair?"

Before I knew it, he wrenched me away from him and pushed me off. The force with which he pushed made me fall far, clattering down the various utensils and fruits kept at the table.

I winced in pain, rubbing my back as he glared at me with pure disgust. "I'm not going to listen to anymore of what you say. You will marry Henry tomorrow and that's my decision." He stormed out of the room while I lay weeping at the floor, giving up on all the hopes for my escape.

I was well aware that living the life which I had desired would not be an easy one. But I had no idea that I would not get to live it in the real world. Maybe this was it, maybe this was all that I could ever do.

The bird which I had wanted to be, the free living being was gone. I sat on the floor, tears streaming down my eyes till the sun set and night came. Yet I did not budge. I did not want to move, I wanted the world to consume me then and there. That would probably be the best thing to happen to me.

Sweat rolled down my face as I opened my eyes. It was day and the beam of sunlight was directed right at my face, making me sweat profusely.

Sighing, I got up and looked around. Today was my wedding day, the day which I dreaded the most. Who knows what horrors awaited me in Netherlands?

Suddenly, the door to my room opened and in entered a dozen maids with a couple of guards as well as Mabel. She smiled at me warily while I remained expressionless.

"Jess, I hope you're ready for this occasional day," she spoke. "We need to get you ready for it."

I did not give any response as they got to work. They toyed with me, making me into the seemingly perfect bride. Regardless, no sort of makeup or dress could bring the actual glow within me. I was a lost cause.

It took them hours to get me ready. By the time the maids were done, it was afternoon and the sun was high up in the sky.

"Look at yourself my Princess," Mabel spoke, bringing the large mirror in front of me with the help of the two guards. I did not care to look at myself. Why would I? It was all against my will. It would not make me any happier.

"My Princess," Mabel placed her palm at my shoulder, "I'm aware of your circumstances, but I believe there's no other way out. You must accept your reality."

Tears rolled down my eyes as she made me realise the truth I had not been wanting to adjust to. How could I? I loved Catherine and the fact that my father was getting me married to lunatic Henry not just disgusted me, but equally horrified me. What if in his madness he...he did something to me?

A chill ran down my spine upon recollecting the event of how he had attacked the maid in the dining hall. If he was capable of doing such abuse publicly, I wondered what he could do privately.

"Princess?"

The voice of Mabel brought me back to reality. Tears had been streaming down my eyes and I found myself clinging on to Mabel's dress, the same way I had multiple times whenever I felt unsafe. I felt like that kid again who had watched her mother lose her breath and how I had clung on to Mabel for the entirety of next couple of days.

"Everyone, out now," Mabel ordered the maids and the guards. They did as she ordered and left us alone.

"I-I don't want to m-marry him," I cried into her dress, soaking it with my uncontrollable tears. "I-I c-cannot live with him!"

Mabel sat down next to me and allowed me to cry out at her shoulder. She patted my back gently as I vented myself out.

"You know I love Cat," I said while sobbing. "I cannot live without her. Ever!"

"Then leave."

Her sudden declaration surprised me.

"W-what?"

"Leave this place," Mabel confirmed. "Escape and don't ever come back."

I was left speechless. Was I hearing it correctly? Why would she ask me to escape?

"I know my Princess that it may come as a surprise to you," she wiped my tears off my cheek, "but I think it's the best for you. At least better than to spend your life with a lunatic. The King will never understand how you feel about this. So it's better if you escape."

"B-but how?" I stammered. "Tonight is my wedding and there's no way I can escape due to the guards present everywhere. How can I escape in this situation?"

Mabel smiled. "Leave that to me and Steve. You just prepare yourself for a quick escape. We'll take care of the guards. However, you must find a way to get out the Palace yourself."

I gulped. That was going to be hard.

"Do it before tonight's wedding," Mabel said. "Don't worry, everything's going to be fine."

I smiled with a glimmer of hope. Turning to the mirror, I looked at my reflection.

Word Count: 1231 Words