You can hear yells and cries around you as you eyes fly open. Your floating down the river on top of some big tire. The water is ice cold, making your lips turn blue. Your jeans are soaked through. Your shaking like your in the arctic. Wow, this is great. But at least you got away from that and close to your sister.

That thought makes you feel around your hips for your radio which is the only warm thing on you- it's heat drawing your hand to it.
They wrap around it seeking heat. It be pathetic to die from hypothermia in an apocalypse or whatever is going on.

The cold wind caresses the back of your head as it sails past your cheeks, the icy feeling nipping at them as it returns to the atmosphere. Your heart emits thunderous beats which almost rock the water beneath; the tire almost tipping.
Your fingertips hold the button as hope holds your nerves high. Please, please Jill. The static twitches in your ear opposing the already building anticipation and the dawning realisation that if she doesn't pick up you may drown. Static.

"Y/n!" Jill pants into the radio. Your muscles temporarily relax against their shaking.

"Jill, your okay. Thank god." You breathe out, your voice cracking at her name. You hadn't realised how much the water made your voice box tense but now it resembled a croaky noise.

"Not for long." She admits, her ominous words making your stomach twist.

"Jill, what happened?" You almost demand- scolding her mentally for her secrecy.

"I don't know. Some weird shits happening, y/n." She almost laughs but you can sense her fear- if she's capable of having any. You squint into the distance- observing the main city street only proving Jill right.

"Your talking about those infected people aren't you?" You say already knowing and dreading the answer.

"Not just that. Let me explain. Brad callled, you heard, he was talking about how I had to leave that moment. I didn't get what he was talking about untill this- this thing broke through the wall. It came after me. Chased me through my apartment, down the stairs and out the whole building. Luckily, I managed to get away and find Brad we walked down the streets and I saw the infected roam them. There were so, so many. Brad and I ran into this building. That's where we are now but we are not safe. They're at the door, can you hear them?" She holds the radio speaker away from her and dreadful, noises creep from the speaker down your spine.

"Jill get the hell out of there!" You attempt to shout as loud as you can before your throat closes up again.

"I'm going to find you. Where are you?" She integrates, a protective tone washes her words. You grimace.

"That's the thing, I'm in a river. Well, on a tire if you want the specifics." You blurt out as a wave of water sends another icy splash over you causing your body to cave into its own warmth.

"What!"

"I'll find you, Jill trust me. Just get somewhere safe." You hear her protests before you even finish you sentence. "Please." You beg. You know how hard this must be for her so you try summon all the strength wishing in you to sound strong so she doesn't notice your facade. In truth, you have no idea if you will make it.

Your cold, tired body couldn't run from infected for long. But your heart is as stubborn as anything so you promise Jill you were find her and close the line before she starts more objections.

"C'mon y/n." Your encourage yourself as you climb further on the tire. Arms already aching sending spikes of pain up your body. But you didn't do all that training for nothing so you persist; untill you perch on the viciously shaking tire. Your boots providing what little grip they can. The long harsh river has slimmed now- much to your fortune- so the green grass is a jumps length away.