CHAPTER 8 - THE PAST

The morning air feels refreshing as Chaeyoung dons his casual yet charming attire, ready to grab breakfast with Mina, Jihyo, and Tzuyu at the new coffee shop near their campus before starting the day.

Arriving at the girls' building, Chaeyoung taps out a quick message to Mina. "Babe, I'm already outside..."

Mina reads the message and quickly grabs her bag from the bed, calling out to Jihyo, "Jihyo-yaa, are you ready?? Chaeyoung's already waiting outside."

Jihyo nods and follows Mina out of the house. "Morning, Chaeng," Mina greets Chaeyoung as she slides into his car, taking the passenger seat while Jihyo settles in the back.

Chaeyoung looks at Mina expectantly. "That's all?" he asks with a playful grin.

Mina adjusts herself in the seat, puzzled. "Um, what else?" she responds, her brow furrowing in confusion.

"Where's my morning kiss?" Chaeyoung teases, his tone playful.

Mina's eyes widen in surprise at her boyfriend's playful request, glancing subtly at Jihyo in the backseat.

"Ugh, fine," Chaeyoung sighs, feigning disappointment.

Jihyo, engrossed in her phone, remains silent during the banter between the couple as they make their way to the coffee shop where Tzuyu is already waiting.

"Guys!!" Tzuyu waves to them as he notices his friends emerged into the coffee shop.

Chaeyoung takes Mina's hand as they walk toward Tzuyu with Jihyo walking in front of them. "I haven't ordered yet...waiting for you guys," Tzuyu explains as they take their seats. Chaeyoung sits across Mina, who is now seated beside Jihyo.

"Why haven't you ordered yet?" Chaeyoung asks Tzuyu, his eyes scanning the menu on the table.

"I'm waiting for you guys," Tzuyu replies casually.

Chaeyoung, teasing Tzuyu, ignores his words and focuses his attention on Mina. "What do you want, babe?" he asks.

Tzuyu shoots him a sarcastic side-eye. "Does only your girlfriend now have all your attention, Chaeng?"

Chaeyoung bursts into laughter. "Yaa, are you jealous of Mina?" he teases, playfully grabbing Tzuyu's hand on the table. "My cute Tzu," he adds, continuing to tease him.

Tzuyu flinches, feeling a shiver run down his spine at Chaeyoung's teasing. "Arghh...I think I need to wash my hands with holy water," he jokes.

Jihyo and Mina watch the two guys goofing around, unable to suppress their chuckles.

"What a gay," Jihyo giggles, amused by Chaeyoung's attempts to tease Tzuyu.

"Stop it!! Your girlfriend is about to vomit just looking at you, Chaeng," Tzuyu retorts, trying to put an end to their banter.

"Don't worry about her, she knows how straight I am," Chaeyoung says with a wink to Mina, who shakes her head with a smile, understanding what Chaeyoung is trying to convey.

"We'll see. After Mina goes back to Japan, I will completely ignore you, Chaeng," Tzuyu teases, prompting a chuckle from Chaeyoung.

Jihyo's eyes widen at Tzuyu's words. "Uhh?? You're going back to Japan? When?" She turns to Mina beside her, seeking clarification.

"Um... the exchange program ends next week, so I'll go back to Japan," Mina replies, her gaze shifting to Chaeyoung. His face momentarily falls into silence, though he still manages a smile, trying to conceal his sadness.

In recent days, he's been a bit quieter ever since learning that Mina will be returning to Japan. Mina, too, has been more clingy to Chaeyoung, sometimes she also cries thinking that she will need to leave him. However, they both know they have no choice but to finish their studies and navigate a long-distance relationship for now.