Short Story 6.4

Before Karan could finish his sentence he felt a sharp pain in his chest. His forehead became sweaty and he started coughing blood. Seeing this Faizi and Ustaad ji understood that he has been POISONED.....

F(shouting) : Ustaad ji gaadi nikaliye hume Karan ko abhi ke abhi Mahajan hospital leke jaana hoga.

They helped Karan inside the car. Ustaad ji was sitting at the back with Karan, who was coughing and gasping for breathe.

F(Looking at Karan from the rear view mirror) : Ustaad ji Monami ko phone kiya?

U: Haan. Meri Monami madam aur Mahajan ji se baat hui hai. Unhone kaha ki hum sirji ko aspatal leke pahunche voh log hume vahin milenge.

Faizi nodded his head and drove as fast as he could. Mahajan hospital wasn't very far from Mahajan house and with Faizi's rash drive they reached there in no time. Karan was loosing his consciousness when the car halted in front of the hospital. Monami and Dr Mahajan along with many ward boys and 2-3 other doctors rushed to them and helped Karan on the stretcher.

Monami's vision was blur due to tears and she was shivering with anxiety. With shaky hands she patted Karan's cheek saying...

M(shaky voice) : Stay awake Karan.... Meri...meri....taraf....dekho... Look at me. Dekho sab hai yahan.... Bhaiya, Sanju, Faizi, Papa, Sid, Koel, Ustaad ji, main sab koi. Hum sab jaage hue hai tum kaise so sakte ho. Stay awake. Dekho sab kitna ghabra gaye hain. Aise darana accha lagta hai tumhe sabko?

Karan gave a weak smile when he saw Monami. At that moment he knew he will make it. He knew Monami won't let anything happen to him. He took a deep breath whispering her name. It was faint ,very faint but gave immense relief to Monami and Dr Mahajan. They took him inside OT.

DM: (while injecting Karan) Dr Khurana Karan ka blood sample lijiye aur test karke dekhiye kaun sa zeher hai. Agar uska koi antitode available hai toh get it and if not we have to opt for exchange transfusion. Monami tum bahar jao aur wait karo. You can't stay in. Dr Irani aap Karan ka heart rate monitor kariye.

M: Nahi main Karan ko chodke nahi jaungi.

Dr Mahajan knew Monami won't agree like this so he tried the other way round....

DM: Monami dekho I suspect ki poison Karan ki blood stream mein enter kar chuka hai agar antitode nahi mila toh ho sakta hai ki usse bachane ke liye hume uska exchange transfusion karna pade. We need fresh  donor blood for it. Tum dono ka blood group same hai na  toh tum ek dusre ward mein jaake khoon do tab tak hum yahan sambhalte hai.

M: (tightening her grip on Karan 's hand) Par papa Karan?

DM: Tumhe main OT se bahar jaane nahi bol raha hoon. Just go to the adjacent room and start with the process tum vahan ke partition se Karan ko dekh paogi. Main blinding nahi dalunga. Lekin abhi blood ready rakhna zaroori hai na.

Monami knew what his father was saying is correct so she wasted no time and went to donate blood. Dr Mahajan shighed in relief. His friend and specialist in poisoning cases Dr Irani started with decontamination of gastrointestinal tract. Karan was put on oxygen support to help him breathe.

Outside the OT....

Param was sitting quietly and emotionless. His eyes fixed on the OT door.

Faizi was sitting beside him lowering his head in guilt. Only one sentence was roaming in his head....

" Yaar Faizi....tere hote hue bhala mujhe kya ho sakta hai? I know ki tu mujhe kabhi kuch hone hi nahi dega"

Sanju was crying silently. Sid saw her and took her in a side hug.