Chapter 66: Be Without You

Onika Maraj.

I could feel my heart racing as I sunk into the couch, palms clammy against the fabric. The bosom space offered no solace today.

It felt different. Heavier somehow. My mind ran wild but my words felt stuck, deeply trapped in a knot in my throat. I glanced around, trying find some sort of comfort within these four walls.

"Nice furniture."

"Yes, I've went for a modest approach to soothe all the newcomers. Courtesy to my husband, this spot was in need for something ... quite."

I nervously laughed. "Yeah ... Yeah."

The awkward silence between us felt like an abyss and I struggled terribly to gather the courage to speak, unravel the mess in my head.

"So, what would you like to focus on today?"

"Eager, aren't you?"

"I prefer perseverance." Bates said gleefully, looking over written pages in her journal. "Helping everyone that is need, guiding them through deranged tunnels with high hopes they'll finally see the lighting at the end. There should never be any delay or difficulties in finding serenity, care to agree?"

The room returned an heavy weigh of the unspoken as I scratched my throat. I could feel the amount of pressure rising, silence extending.

Dr. Bates maintained a calm presence, allowing the quietness to settle in for a moment. The air seemed charged, waiting for one to break the stillness.

Subsequent she leaned forward and looked directly into my eyes with an unexpected shift in expression, softly prompting "How about we start something light, how's the adjustment to motherhood?"

"It can be uh ... nourishing for the most part."

"And in between the cracks?"

"Exhausting!"

We laughed.

"That's common especially juggling with children so I can only imagine. How is their mother or secondary guardian with them? Any help?"

"God! ... Beyoncé ... She's absolutely amazing with them. Every single one of them. Yeah, she loves them and very easygoing yet so protective. Tell you the truth, they think she's the coolest parent ever."

Bates chuckled. "Well, I hate to be the one to break it to you but the parent with the candy and green is the super fly one. Can't do no wrong."

"Oh I'm learning that now!" I laughed.

"Hmph. I'm sure relocating to a new city come with detachments. Did you manage to grab another day job hun? Or career, perhaps? Hm?"

"Right. I— We bought a boutique."

"Really?!" She exclaimed. "That's great! Astounding even, Congratulations new business owner."

"Thank you." I weakly smiled.

"Is there any troubling? Starting a business can real difficult and managing other things at the same time can put a strain on one's battered soul."