FIVE

Riding in the shade of the trees was a blessing and a mercy that I was grateful for as our journey to Saint Milburg's continued. The back of my head and neck no longer burned, and my clothes no longer stuck to me. Once my discomfort was eased, the nervousness I had felt upon finding Uhtred and saving Aelfwynn dimmed, and I found myself going quiet.

I had rode little as a child. I could only recall one time when I tried to mount one of my brother's horses, and he had pushed me into the mud before I could get onto the saddle. As an adult, I rode even less, I was always made to take a carriage or a cart. I had never simply been in the wild. I had always been needed in Aegelesburg, tending or mending or teaching, or if I was taking messages to Winchester, then I was praying and grovelling.

"Finan," I mumbled quietly, my eyes trailing up a large tree that had somehow bent strangely and now hung over us, "do you know how to climb a tree?"

Finan made an 'um' noise for a moment before he shrugged, "I have done, and I can do. Why?"

"I should like to learn how to climb one," I decided, turning away from the tree and back to the path.

"Do they not teach you how to climb trees when you become a Lady?" Finan joked easily, glancing back briefly at Sihtric, who rode behind him.

"I scarcely attended my lessons, so I fear if it was taught, I missed it," I sighed softly, turning back to check on the cart again.

Osferth offered me a small smile, "She is alright, sleeping, I think."

A pang of concern shot through me, and I frowned, "I fear she is hungry, and that is making her tired."

"There is bread," Finan sighed, "but the bread is stale enough to take out a tooth. It is not fit for children."

"Find the fresher bread and pass it back to the cart," Uhtred called back, "we can eat the hard bread, we have stronger stomachs."

I cursed myself for not thinking to raid the kitchens before I left Aegelesburg, but it was too late to consider that now.

"God will provide," Young Uhtred spoke up, "he will send us food."

I opened my mouth to at least make out an 'amen', but I was interrupted by the sight of two people darting down the side of the hill and making for the cart. "Oi!"

"No! No!" Stiorra's voice shouted, "Father!"

"Lord Uhtred!" I turned as well, sighing in relief as the warrior turned his horse around and raced to the back of the cart.

"Go back! Stay back! The road is closed!" A voice called out and further ahead of the land, an elderly man waddled out his hand raised.

"Stay here, Lady," Finan gruffed, urging his horse forward along with Sihtric. They dismounted further ahead and drifted towards a few dark shadows hidden behind some trees.

"Stop there!" Young Uhtred's voice chirped, with little to no intimidation, and I turned to him before looking down where the two beggars crouched beside my horse.

Mare took a few steps back, whining softly as beggars got too close, and Uhtred used the space to approach them. "What are you—"