SEVENTEEN

"This is a brave plan," Aldhelm spoke softly towards Uhtred as they walked ahead of us towards the gates of Winchester.

"Which plan is that?" Uhtred glanced at him.

"He doesn't have a plan!" Finan blurted, a grin painting his face.

"He never has a plan," I added on, my shoulder bumping into the Irishman's as he moved to avoid a passing soldier.

"This is what he looks like when he's making it up," Osferth finished, smiling slightly and innocently.

"You can not hope to take them on single-handed?" Aldhelm frowned, looking towards the ramparts.

"What do you think he's doing, then?" Sihtric scoffed softly, staring down at his feet as Aldhelm glanced back at him.

"I presume you're trying to get us some time," Aldhelm huffed softly, "If you can delay the Danes until Lady Aethelflaed arrives, she will persuade Edward to endure a longer siege. You know that we can take back the town when they're depleted."

"Or she will combine her forces with Edward's and storm the gate," I muttered lowly, seeking out the hilt of my dagger for comfort as we grew closer to the ramparts.

"That is not my plan, Aldhelm," Uhtred sighed softly.

"Ha! Told you," Osferth quipped, and I nudged his side as Aldhelm rolled his eyes.

"Why else would you make such a dangerous offer?" Aldhelm asked in disbelief.

"Because he thinks he is invincible," I mumbled lowly.

"Because I believe I can end this," Uhtred explained, casting his eyes back at me, a playful small smile touching at his lips. He stopped walking, and we followed his lead. It was time for him to go on alone, but it was a difficult parting. There was a chance we would never see him again.

"I will look after Young Uhtred," I offered quietly, "if need be, I mean. He is a little... irritating, and I hope his preaching will not anger the soldiers."

Uhtred snorted lightly, nodding his head, "Stuff his mouth with a sock if necessary. He will not stop unless he's stopped and the men are less forgiving in these times. I do not wish to see him drowned because he continues to remind the men of theirs sins."

"I shall put him to work," I smiled slightly, "I need more rags and... he can gather them." What I meant was he would have to take the clothes off the dead and find the ones that could not be worn again.

"I will return," Uhtred nodded curtly, looking over us one more time, "I will."

"I will pray for you, Lord," Osferth promised, touching his fingers to the cross that hung around his neck.

Sihtric did the same but to his hammer of Thor, muttering something under his breath in Danish.

With that, we watched as Uhtred walked between the bodies of the fallen men of Wessex and stood at the gate.

"Sigtryggr!" Uhtred bellowed, "Show yourself!" He paused, "We will not retreat, Sigtryggr!"

I sucked in a sharp breath as the figure of the Dane in question, Sigtryggr, appeared on top of the ramparts.

Finan took hold of my hand silently, squeezing it and trying to get across the message that everything would be alright.

"We make you this offer," Uhtred continued, his voice echoing around us, "send out both the children... and I will walk into Winchester alone."

Sigtryggr moved forward into the sunlight, his voice strange and lilting, "And why would I exchange gold for silver?"

"He is not taking the bait," Aldhelm muttered worriedly, his hand falling to the hilt of his sword, as if a sword could save Uhtred from this distance.