5. Fireworks

Today's finally the day. You have been looking forward to this whole week. Initially you assumed that you'd take the train since it's faster, but it seems that Naoya hates public transport so here you are in the fancy black car with him and his driver on your way to Toyohashi.

Naoya leans back in the comfortable car seat and smirks.

"Isn't this better than taking the train? My driver knows all the shortcuts." He boasts, his tone brimming with confidence.

You nod quietly, feeling a bit out of place next to his cocky demeanor. "It's convenient." You reply, trying to match his enthusiasm.

"I'm glad that you got leave today, this gives us more time together." He says with a smile.

"Me too." You respond shyly.

Then there's silence.

He's is on his phone and you're too nervous to try and have a conversation with him.

'Ever since mom dropped me at ba-chan's, I've never been outside of Kyoto before.' You think to yourself.

"Is this your first time outside Kyoto?" Naoya asks as if he read your mind.

"Y-yes, it is."

"I'm glad that I'm your first." He winks.

You're too flustered to say anything and just look out the window.

He bursts into laughter, "Teasing you is so fun." He admits while patting your head.

"T-that's mean." You pout.

He doesn't say anything and gets back to whatever he was doing on his phone.

Ever since he ghosted you and then gave you a second chance, you've been very careful with your words as you don't want to slip up and say anything that might make him angry at you again.

The rest of the car ride is silent. You do a few pit stops, but in less than four hours you are in Toyohashi.

☆⋅ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━ ⋅⋆⋅☆⋅⋆⋅ ━━ ⋅⋆⋅☆⋅⋆⋅ ━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ⋅☆

At the hotel check-in, Naoya handles the arrangements smoothly, flashing a charming smile at the receptionist.

"We'll take separate rooms." He announces casually, as if it's the most natural thing in the world.

You nod, a faint blush creeps up your cheeks at the thought of sharing a room with Naoya.

You're not sure where the driver is staying and you decide not to ask, since you don't want to make him mad.

"The fireworks start at 6pm so we still have some time before then. Is there anything you want to do?" He asks.

"Uhm, n-no."

"What's wrong with you?" He asks giving you an odd look.

"W-what do you mean?" You ask him, confused.

"You seem more anxious than usual and you've been stuttering more than normal." He points out.

"S-sorry, I didn't mean to-"

"[Y/n], I want you to be yourself around me. I get that we weren't talking for a while, but I don't want you to think that you're not allowed to be comfortable around me." He says with a soft smile.

"What if I say something that upsets you again?" You ask.

"Don't worry about that." He responds.

You take a deep breath and give him a smile, "Okay."