Chapter Twenty-Seven

Krios did not get far from the capital. He had only managed to fly just outside the main gates and into the forest before his exhaustion had caught up to him. He had wanted to keep going, but Phoebe forced him to stop. They were both still very weak, and they needed rest.

Still, they had to be careful. The Veil had only been brought down a few hours ago, and word was likely just now spreading about its end. The news of the Veil Keeper's death wouldn't be far behind either. And if anyone saw the Demon Lord walking around, they would no doubt misunderstand and turn on him.

Fortunately, they had come across a hut once they had stalked deeper into the forest. Even better, there was a small stable next to it. Krios would not be able to fit into the doorway of the hut, so the stable would have to do. At least he would have a place with a roof to sleep, even if it was on beds of hay.

He didn't complain though. But when she tried to join him, he told her to rest in the cabin. She had protested, but his stubborn refusal won in the end. So, reluctantly, she had ducked into the cabin to sleep. She had been worried about him being comfortable, but she could see through the window that he had passed out as soon as he lay down.

She had also fallen asleep as soon as she stumbled onto the bed inside. She didn't even bother to get under the blanket. Curled up on her side, she fell into a deep sleep. But instead of dreams, it was just more memories. Some of Seraphine, of Queen Genevieve, of Miss Katherine, and many more that flowed through her mind. Not all of them were clear, some even fuzzy and lacking details that would be seen in others.

But they didn't confuse her. It was as if she were recalling her own memories from childhood; the further back they were, the less she remembered. Yet, the feelings stirred within her. Excitement, fear, joy, anguish, pleasure, torment, love... No matter who she had been or who she would become, her soulmate would always be Krios. She would always be destined to love him.

When she opened her eyes again, she found that it was well past noon. Looking out the window, she could see Krios was still sound asleep inside the stable. Rubbing the sleep from her eyes, she sat up and took a look around the cabin. There wasn't much there, other than a table, a small wooden bath hidden by a divider, and a fireplace with a cauldron suspended above old wood. She doubted there was any food in the few cupboards either.

Hoping out of the bed, she headed outside. She made sure to stay quiet, even shutting the door gently before heading over the stable. Krios lay on his back, his arms crossed over his upper body. His wrists and ankles still had the shackles around them, the broken chains sinking into the hay. How he could sleep with them on, she had no idea.

Sighing, she conjured some magic into her hand. It felt a bit strange. She wasn't sure if it was an after effect of having channeled so much holy power or because she had gotten the rest of her soul back, but mana flowed through her so easily now. It hadn't been a hindrance before, but before it had felt like water flowing through her. Now it felt more akin to a breeze tickling her skin.

She channeled the magic to his cuffs, allowing them to unlock. They slipped from his body and fell to the ground. But a soft ring echoed in the stable as they did. Krios let out a soft groan, his face scrunching up. Without a louder groan, he sluggishly opened his eyes as he turned his head.

She leaned back to give him some space, but he had stopped when their eyes locked.

Silence passed between them, and it felt like an eternity. Phoebe wasn't sure if she should speak first or let him do it instead. After all, the last time they had been able to speak peacefully, they had still been in the Underworld. With everything that had happened, there was no time to talk about what had happened between them. What had happened before she had been dragged back to the Temple by Vesper.