Chapter Nine

Brock waited until his stepfamily left the house before he could make his move. He'd done everything in the previous day so it shouldn't be that hard to go to the police station. Brock wanted answers and if it meant keeping Amelia and his two friends safe then that's what he was planning to do. No way was he going to let his stepfather get the best of him. Not this time. If his theory was correct, then that meant that someone was behind his mother's death.

Brock grabbed his black moped and drove it into town. His main priority was to find out what the police learned from the hit and run back then. All Brock could remember was the black SUV ramming into his mother's car followed by it taking off on them. Whoever was in that car wanted them to die and if he could find his way to learning the truth behind the death then he'd be able to stop the next person who could become the target. It took him a few minutes to get into town, and the minute he did he drove through until he made it to the police station.

People were going about their daily business mostly focusing on their jobs. Some would stop by a coffee shop while others were going in and out of other businesses. Some even stopped and talked to their friends or coworkers. Brock shook his head and made his way inside. The police department had known him since he was young as his mother would always take him with her to work every time. Pretty much he grew up in the police station.

"Brock!" Sheriff Peter exclaimed. "It's good to see you kid,"

"Hey Peter," Brock said a smile on his face. "How's the station?"

"You know how it is, but today it's been fairly slow," Peter responded.

Brock approached the desk.

"What can I do for you?" Peter asked.

"I was just wondering if you still had the case files on that hit and run a few years ago?" Brock questioned. "I know that you probably can't show it, but I want to know if you discovered anything about a black SUV?"

Peter thought about it at first, he wasn't going to let Brock look at the files but reluctantly nudged his head allowing for Brock to follow him. He passed by other police officers who were going through different cases. Inside the police station, Brock looked around the halls of the building to find cops busy talking to some criminals and trying to get their stories about why they did what they did. Peter and Brock arrived at his office. It wasn't much but inside, there was a plain white desk with two chairs sitting in front of it. In the far corner of the room, there was a filing cabinet. Against the wall and behind the desk, there was a large sheriff's star plastered on the wall. Brock remained in place for a few minutes as Sheriff Peter pulled out a large manila folder with sheets upon sheets of files pertaining to the Black SUV case.

"Here you go," Peter said and handed the files over.

Brock took the files and flipped through them. All he could make out was how the camera's on the road hadn't even picked up the license plate clearly. They had a few leads on the hit and run but nothing that allowed them to pinpoint the culprits. Eventually the case had gone cold, and Brock was left uncertain about what happened to his mother.

"You couldn't find anything?" Brock asked.

The Sheriff gave him a solemn expression. Despite his determination he felt that the officer wasn't trying anything to help locate the people behind his mother's death.

"I'm sorry Brock, but no matter how hard we tried," Peter explained. "No one could pinpoint where the culprits vanished,"

Brock flipped through the pages again, until he came across a page that showed they'd found the license plates, but he never understood why no one ever arrested the people.