Chapter Eleven

Song: Be Somebody by Thousand Foot Krutch

Brock waited until his stepfamily left for the night and began his nightly chores. Everything from Vacuuming to the dishes which he hated. How could three people eat so much and dirty so many dishes all in one day. Brock rolled his eyes and began the most strenuous task at trying to make sure the dishes were all clean and did his best not to break any of the bowls or plates. About halfway through his chores, a knock pounded on the door. Brock stopped dusting the shelves and walked over. Pulling the oak door open he saw Sheriff Peter standing there carrying with him a large bag.

"Sheriff?" Brock asked, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"I know that you want to find out who killed your mother," Peter explained. "But I have intel that they are going to be at that book reveal party," he continued. "So, I brought you a suit and a mask that way you'll be able to go there without your stepfamily knowing,"

Brock hesitated at first, but knowing that the killers were going to be there, he wasn't going to pass up the opportunity to not only go to a party but also prove that he could sing. His dreams of being a rockstar were still present and maybe a party wouldn't be a bad idea. Besides at least he could get away from all the cleaning and the confines of his family home.

"Are you sure about this?" Brock asked.

Peter handed the suit and mask over to him.

"I'm positive. If you find out who they are, then let me know and I'll get the squad on them instantly," Peter explained. "However, just note that everyone will be in a mask so no one will know who's who," he kept going. "Meet me outside, I've got my rental car out there, we have to be back by midnight so I can return it,"

Brock nodded as Peter walked out of the house. Knowing that he had a chance to find his mother's killer and a chance to see Amelia again, Brock raced upstairs and got dressed. He wore a white t-shirt with a black blazer and a pair of dress pants and dress shoes. His mask was in the shape of a wolf. It covered half his face so no one would recognize it. Lastly he put on a yellow and brown pendant that his mother had given him, he ran back downstairs and left the house.

Twenty-Nine minutes later, Brock and Peter arrived at the party. The place was packed with cars that took every single parking spot. Brock worried that they wouldn't be able to get a spot until Peter parked the furthest away from the entrance. Brock's palms were sweaty and he didn't know what to do if his stepfamily discovered he'd snuck out. He stared at the parking lot toward the entrance for a while watching guests enter and exit the premises.

"You ready?" Peter asked.

"I don't know," Brock responded. His heart thumped.

"You'll be fine, now go in there and wow them," Peter laughed.

Brock took a deep breath and got out of the car. Ignoring the butterflies in his stomach, the young man walked down the parking lot toward the entrance. There a large goon stood by the door checking the clipboard for guests. Brock slowly approached the door as the large goon with a suit held out his hand.

"Hold it, who are you?" the goon asked. The man stood expressionless. "What is your name?"

Words stuck to the back of his mind, struggling to come up with a name.

"It's not going to be announced is it?" Brock questioned.

"No, I only want to know what your name is," The goon responded.

"Brock," he answered.

The goon looked down the list until he came across Brock's name and nodded his head. Brock entered the event center. Music blasted throughout the building as people were dressed in beautiful clothes as well as very well dressed suits. They were dancing to Eye of the Tiger. He walked through the building until he stumbled into a girl with a beautiful pink and purple dress. Her dark brown hair was tied back into a braided bun.