004| boys like you

"I just don't get it

"I just don't get it." Daryl said, shoveling a handful of fries into his mouth. He was sitting at the counter of Rosebud Diner, Sabrina was behind the counter ringing an older lady named Sue up for her meal. "Guy's a prick." 

"Thank you, have a nice day Sue." Sabrina said, handing the woman her change and smiling appreciatively when she placed it in the tip jar. She looked towards her best friend once the lady left. "Chew with your mouth closed honey, it's unbecoming for a young man such as yourself." 

"Pfft." Daryl spoke then smacked his lips together for extra emphasis. "Why agree to a date with that guy? He's got a prick name too. You really want your last name to be DuPont or whatever?" 

"Dare, he asked for one date. Not my hand in marriage." Sabrina chided, turning to help another customer that appeared at the register. "7.12 hon." 

"Nah, your friends right, guy sounds like a prick. See you later Brina." The man handed her his own money, ten dollars and waved goodbye. He'd be back tomorrow, the next day, and the day after that. Every morning he got a cup of black coffee and plate of toast, over easy eggs, two strips of bacon and a side of hash-browns before heading back to work. If Sabrina couldn't rely on anyone she could rely on old Cash Bennett. 

"See! Even Cash agrees." Daryl said, taking a sip of his Coke. The sound of an empty cup rang out shortly after. "Can I get another?" 

"No, you're switching to water. I ain't having you bouncin' off the walls on a sugar rush." Sabrina said sliding a glass of water over to the Dixon boy. He glared at her playfully through dark blond locks of hair. "You need a haircut."

"I ain't need shit." Daryl scowled grumpily, sipping water through his straw. 

"Mhmm." Sabrina said, gingerly reaching out to brush away a particular strand of hair that was in his eyes. The eighteen year old melted at the touch. "I'll do it tonight." 

"Fine." Daryl grumbled, despite the way he was looking forward to any excuse for Sabrina to touch him. Then the reminder of what tonight was dawned on him. "Before or after your date with DuPorn?" 

"DuPont, Daryl. His last name is DuPont." Sabrina said in an exasperated tone. "But after. I'll need to tell you all about it. My parent's ain't home so you can crash on the couch if ya want." 

Daryl's stomach twisted at the thought of that. Sabrina discussing the date with him, it didn't feel right. Not when he'd been hopelessly in love with her for so long. He loved listening to her voice, even when she was angry with him. Yet listening to her go on and on about a date at a movie, then to a fancy restaurant with a man whose bedroom cost five times his cabin. He didn't think he could stomach that. Not when he'd never be able to give her those things. Not when she deserved so much more than what the Dixon name offered. 

"Let me guess, I gotta drive ya too?" Daryl asked and Sabrina smiled sheepishly as a blush creeped up to her cheeks. She tucked a strand of red hair behind her ear and Daryl was done for.