020| one missing, one dying

『"You're gonna be okay, you're gonna be just fine."

+

Frankie could faintly hear the panicked sounds of Rick Grimes carrying her through the forest. Her body felt like it had locked up, she couldn't move. She couldn't even open her eyes. Then, the running stopped and she was placed on something soft. It felt like a cloud, and she wondered if she was in Heaven.

"Is she alive?" Rick asked, his voice sounded faraway. She also heard the sound of unknown voices. Demanding things, as Rick asked if she was alive. 

She wasn't convinced that she was. Maybe, this was the afterlife. That was probably why she was incapable of opening her eyes. Frankie didn't want to die, she still had too much to live for. She wanted so see Sabrina finally confess to Daryl. She wanted to go on more hunting trips with Daryl. She wanted to learn how to drive the motorcycle. There was simply too much she hadn't gotten to do or see. And Sabrina?

Frankie needed to be there for Sabrina because Sabrina would never forgive herself if she died. Not when she could've prevented it by telling her she couldn't stay out longer. She needed to live.  

"Your name?" An unknown voice said, it sounded older, wiser. 

"Rick."  That was the voice she was clinging to. The familiar one. The one who would have to explain just exactly what happened. He sounded so afraid."I'm Rick..." 

"Rick we're going to do everything we can, but right now you need to step back. Give us room to work." 

"No! Don't leave me! I don't wanna be alone, I don't wanna die." Frankie wanted to scream but nothing was working, her body was beginning to shut down from the blood loss until her breathing went faint and her mind shut off. 

+

Rick Grimes exited the room where young Frankie Rhodes lay unconscious from a gunshot wound. He found himself on the porch, watching as Shane brought his own son and the man that shot Frankie across the field. Carl was crying, he'd never seen someone get shot up close. Something no child should see. Nonetheless, it was his best friend shot. 

"Is she okay?" Carl asked, staring at Frankies blood staining his father's shirt. 

Rick couldn't bring himself to explain it to his son. He felt guiltier than ever before. He wasn't fit to lead a group. In the time that he'd done so a girl had gone missing, and another had been shot. Both under his supervision. 

He'd felt the way Frankie's body has begun to go rigid in his grip. How she got colder and colder as time went on. He could imagine the reaction Sabrina would have, the scream that might escape from her lips at the news.