anything for you

I'm so sick of myself - Olivia Rodrigo

Stella

A bunch of colorful lights outside the window wake me up and it takes a second to remember where I am. This is Cousins Beach. Odds are the neighbors are doing a nightly lights show or whatever, this is the kind of neighborhood people pull off shit like this. If someone tried to do anything with flashing lights in the middle of the night in my neighborhood in LA, they'd be egged on in minutes. Not the house, the owner.

When I look over at my nightstand, the digital clock reflects the numbers 01:01 am. He or she loves you. Nope. Not doing that shit, not right now. That crap means nothing.

I'm halfway down the stairs to see what is going on when I see the police officers at the door. Fuck. What did the boys do?

- I'm really sorry, officers. - Laurel's voice is carried with poorly contained rage. - It won't happen again, I promise you.

- Please tell Mr. Fisher that the chief wants to set up a tea time when he gets back in town. - The younger officer, a guy in his early twenties, tells her. - He asked us to let you know.

- Absolutely. - My ex-stepmom would've called them out on their bullshit and favoritism if this was happening under different circumstances. - Sorry again for the trouble.

When she leaves the house to walk the officers out, I take the final steps and stop. Belly is here, wearing a pink dress and someone's hoodie on top. There's a bruise near her eye.

- What the hell happened? - I ask, and everyone turns to me.

Jeremiah and Steve are annoyed, Belly is hurt, and Conrad is pissed. The bruises on his fists are telling - he got into a fight tonight.

- It was an accident. - My sister says as I walk to her and hold her face, analyzing the injury. - Seriously, it's nothing.

- Tell me the name of the bitch who had this accident. - I don't recognize my voice. - She can have a little accident of her own.

Steven smiles, but it drops when Conrad glares at him.

- It was a guy, actually. - Jeremiah looks down. - He was in a fight with another guy and Belly tried to stop it.

- What the hell were you thinking getting in the middle of a fight? Are you insane? - Belly wants to argue, but she knows I'm right. This is Party Safety 101. - When I find out who these guys are, I'm gonna feed them to the sharks.

Steven chuckles again and the realization dawns on me. Conrad was one of the guys.

- How the hell did you two let this happen? - I turn to the other boys who are leaning against the wall. - This is dangerous. She could have gotten hurt, you know that, right?

Steven and Jeremiah look away, shame etched into their expressions, but Conrad is stoic. He has no remorse and he smells like a distillery.

- It was an accident. - Belly repeats, holding my arm. - I'm fine.

- How could you be so irresponsible? - Laurel storms back into the house before I can say anything else.

- It wasn't a big deal. Alright? - Steven approaches his mother carefully. - Seriously, the cops were just looking for an excuse to break up the bonfire.

- Not a big deal? - She glances at Belly, at the bruise on her face, before turning back to him.

I step away to the kitchen, searching through cabinets for the first aid kit while they continue to argue.