Chapter Twenty-nine

My white wings were bound

My white wings were bound. As were my wrists and ankles. I was hanging from my arms, shoulders dislocated because of my own weight. I was gagged and under a powerful spell. I couldn't move, I couldn't speak. I could only suffer. But the pain was the farthest thing from my mind now. I couldn't care less about my pain. The only thing I cared about was my love. Fear was written all over her face. She knew we would never win this battle, and I knew it too.

The Goddess Itrix was furious and aching—a bad combination for one of the most powerful beings. And we were the cause of it. We were now the victims of her ire.

"You human must be punished for your blasphemy!" Itrix screamed at my love, fire lighting up her eyes. "And I will be the one to do the punishing."

"B-blasphemy? But I—I didn't do anything! I love him. I just love him!" Her knees were red from kneeling. "P-please, Goddess! Surely, t-that is not a crime—"

"Hold your tongue, whore! It is a crime to me."

"B-but why, Goddess? Why?"

"Why? Because it pains me! I can feel it eating my heart." She slammed a fist against her chest. "And that is something I've never felt before! And I... I don't like it."

"What—what will you do to m-me?"

"I will hurt you, just as much as you've hurt me, and more. And him..." She looked up at me, and all I could do was listen. "I will make him watch, for he has to be punished as well..."

With a thudding heart, I woke up.

"Fuck..." I rubbed my hands against my sweaty face and was suddenly aware that I wasn't alone.

Her breathing was warm against my skin. Flora was sleeping next to me, her nose close to my shoulder.

My beautiful Flora.

I hadn't had any nightmares since we started spending our nights together. So why did I have one now? I'd had worse dreams, but it still was a bad way of waking up.

As carefully as I could, trying not to wake Flora, I got out of bed and put on my robe. I walked over to the window and looked out. It was still dark, the sky black with countless stars. The position of the moon let me know that it wasn't even close to morning.

After pouring a glass of water, I sat in my chair and looked at my Flora sleeping. That was all I did for hours—looking at her and contemplating—and for a moment, just a brief moment, Flora reminded me of her.

I had sworn to keep her safe, and I had failed. Now, I swore to keep Flora safe, and I would swear it again: I was never going to let someone hurt her. All the wrath I felt within, I would unleash. I was an angel no more. I was the fucking devil. I had never shown what I was capable of, not even when they cast me out of Hell, but what if I failed to keep my promise again?